Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best practice and shopping list for brand new bathroom painting?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Best practice and shopping list for brand new bathroom painting?

signal-2023-12-08-17-07-22-459.jpg

signal-2023-12-08-17-07-22-459-1.jpg

Hi, our builder completed the bathroom renovation, but to cut costs, we opted to handle the painting ourselves. We invested significantly in this renovation and aim for flawless painting.

I've painted kitchen cabinets and the living room before, but occasionally, I've had issues with paint drips on the walls. I really want to avoid this on our newly renovated bathroom.

1) Can anyone share a shopping list of premium-grade tools and paint?

Should we use the smallest nap roller, or is a paint sprayer preferred?

2) What are the best practices and processes to ensure the best outcome?

Step 1: Get drop sheets and cover all the tiles.

Step 2: Use sugar soap to clean off the dust on the plastered walls.

Step 3: Apply some kind of primer.

Step 4: Use wall paint (we're looking for white).

Step 5: Apply another coat.

Step 6: Use some mold-resistant protective paint.

Wholehearted thanks for any advice🥲; we're nervous about potentially ruining the bathroom.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best practice and shopping list for brand new bathroom painting

Hi @ivanptr,

The chances of ruining the bathroom whilst painting it are slim to none. Even if you get a drip, the paint can be sanded back in that small section, and you can have another go. Regarding drips, I'd suggest you do one priming coat and two or three topcoats. Don't try to cover it with just one topcoat, as you'll end up placing too much paint on at one time, causing drips.

I recommend going for Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 4L and Dulux 4L Interior Paint Wash&Wear +PLUS Kitchen & Bathroom Semi Gloss Vivid White. Typically, you would use a 13mm nap roller for walls, but since you'd like to achieve a fine finish, perhaps you could go for a 10mm nap roller. I wouldn't advise you to use a shorter nap than that, as you'll find it hard to cover the filled plasterboard. This Dulux bathroom paint includes a powerful mould inhibitor.

Useless you are proficient with using a paint sprayer, I'd stick with a roller. I've had a reasonable amount of practice and still get drips and runs occasionally. They do give you a great finish if dialled in correctly, but they can be a bit finicky.

The method you mentioned for the application is correct, but here are another couple of helpful step-by-step guides to follow: How to prepare a wall for painting and How to paint a room.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @ivanptr 

This has turned into an essay!  Oops!

I'd be inclined to phone the helpline on dulux.com.au or the on British Paints one.  They also offer excellent advice on colours!  There are SO many shades of white!  But do beware!  Everybody you encounter will want to make good sales figures and there are alot of products out there that you really don't need!  So research lots of 'how to paint' articles and videos.  You won't need paintbrush cleaning products!  Cold water and soap do that very well!  And ask people what their experiences of painting are!

The walls look like they  have a raw finish so you'll need to apply undercoat first though. As the walls are new, just a good dust ought to be enough to clean them - or use the vacuum cleaner.  All of the paint will need to be specifcally for bathrooms though, as it needs to contain a mould inhibitor.  Dulux Wash & Wear Plus is available at Bunnings -  a 10L can will give you 2 coats.  

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-10l-interior-paint-wash-wear-plus-kitchen-bathroom-low-sheen-vivid...

You'll need to cover the floors and surfaces.  I used masking or  packaging tape.  Overlay the edges of flattened  cardboard boxes a bit, and securely tape down.  They provide a secure surface  to walk over and they stay in place!   And it's better for the environment!  You will also need to make sure all the nails and other fasteners (eg staples) have been well hammered in and there are no bumps.  If the heads are showing, get a nail punch and hammer them into the board by about 3mm.  I got a set of 5, and the extra 1mm & 5mm have come in handy!  

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-5-piece-nail-punch-set_p0444995

When it comes to hammers, pay a bit more and get a good one!  Research them.  You want to look at hammers with a heavy head.  I've got an Estwing and am very happy with the quality and ease of use.  Ive heard some tradies pay $800 for their hammers!  It's important to get one for the long term!

Once you've driven in the nails, fill the holes with putty filler.   When dry, lightly sand to a smooth finish.

For the brushes, you'll only need to do the trim and edges by hand.  I've recently used Oldfields Pro series brushes.  The 'Ceilings, Walls & Door' brush has the paint going  on very smoothly and gives an  excellent finish.  And the 'Windows, Cornices & Architraves' is a great little sash cutter  in smooth and even application.  When buying brushes, I'd avoid the cheaper ones, as you often find the bristles come out when youre painting (very annoying!) and often the finish is so bad it needs to be redone.

You'll need a good paint roller and paint tray  (wide).  Don't load too much paint on the roller or it will spatter.  Do some research on the roller covers, as I have a very old pure wool one, and I've been unable to find them anywhere!  Before putting paint into the tray, put it a plastic bag with opening at the flat end where you hold it.  Try to mold it into the shape of the tray so it will catch the paint. Then on the underside and at the top, tape it so that it won't move around too much. Practice by putting water in the tray first!  You want the water to be taking up the space of the tray bottom and corners, and not forming a puddle in the centre of the tray basin.  When you're finished for the day, just pull off the bag and dispose of it.  Saves alot of clean-up time and paint going into the waterways.  Always follow the pre-use instructions for the roller cover!  When you pour paint out of the can, always put the lid back on.  If you get interrupted or take a painting break, put the wet roller and/or  paintbrush in a plastic bag or roll in a wet cloth.  This will avoid them drying out.

When you're painting, the biggest 'helpers' you can have is both a wet cotton cloth and a medium sized paint scraper!  When there is an oopsie in your paint border (say onto the cabinet) then wipe it off as soon as you see it! The cloth over a sharp edge (fingernail or scraper edge) will give you a nice sharp edge.  But don't worry too much about the drips!  A light touch with the scraper will whip them off glass and benchtops very easily.  If paint dribbles dry out before you see them, just lightly sand, wipe off dust with damp cloth, dry, reapply paint and blend the edges.   All paint colour dries to a sightly lighter colour.  So don't worry when it looks different.  Check it the following day.

The first step is to paint around the border of the wall with the brush.  Try to get sharp edges.

Then the do the walls with the roller.

Then do the trim - usually just architrave, door frame and maybe window.  For the door I use the roller.  The inside edge is a brush job though (avoid the hinges and screws).  Many people do the walls in a matt finish and trims in a semi-gloss or gloss finish.

The Bunnings expert in all things painting is @EricL .  Now that I've tagged him I'm certain he will offer you many more tips and tricks!  But don't get anxious about doing it - when it comes to 'oopsies' white paint is very forgiving!

Good luck!

Tyro 🤗

@Tyro @MitchellMc 

Thanks wholeheartedly for the tips! I've read them twice and saved these two precious essays in my Google Drive, so I can pass these readings on to my son, grandson, and great-grandson.

(Will update my progress here, cheers)

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

You are most welcome @ivanptr  😉👋

Good luck ... and I always find it best to tackle one task at a time re the prep.  Then one wall at a time.  Especially if the weather is too hot and the beach is calling ... !

It'll be good to see the photos of the finished job (and those of any  'oopsies' too!) 

Happy holiday wishes!

Tyro 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects