Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I replace bathtub without doing a full renovation?

BLreno
Finding My Feet

How do I replace bathtub without doing a full renovation?

IMG_0769.jpeg

I am looking for advice on how to remove and replace this bath tub.  

Originally we were going to repaint the tiles, grout missing places with new grout but as I was taping the bath tub I noticed a crack that is slightly raised approx 3-4 cm.  

Is this possible to do, or would you recommend sealing the crack until I can do a full renovation?  If so, what would I need to get to sort this out asap?

I am not ready to do a full renovation for another year.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I replace bathtub without doing a full renovation?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BLreno. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing a bath.

To remove and replace the bath, you'll likely need to remove the tiles in front of it. It will also take an adjustment of the timber frame to support the new bath; it's a significant amount of work. Check out this project: What order should we follow to renovate bathroom by @ivanptr. You'll see how they went about removing the bath. Given this, it would be best to try anything possible to hold off the replacement for the future renovation. 

Where is this crack located, and could you upload an image of it? That would be helpful for our members in determining if there is a way to patch or repair it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

thank you for your prompt response.  Here is a pic of the damage, it has a few grey lines around it but two cracks.  It also is a little raised from the rest of the bath tub, I hope that explains it.  I’ll be covering it with a bath mat but would like something that can get us by until we can renovate the full bathroom.

IMG_7219.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BLreno 

If you are after a cosmetic fix, I suggest having a look at Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Touch Up Kit. It repairs chips & scratches on porcelain & ceramic surfaces. Please note that this will not work with acrylic surfaces.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects