Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get a smooth finish on tile edges?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

How to get a smooth finish on tile edges?

Hi D.I.Y. Brains Trust

The wall tiles in my kitchen, bathroom and laundry have a very gritty finish.  The edges are painted, but the finish might be the raw grout.  I'd like to put  something on the raw edge that will smooth off the finish (making dusting them easier).  

Cheers 🤗

20230820_162832.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get a smooth finish on tile edge

Hi @Tyro,

You could apply a couple of coats of Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer which will smooth out the surface and make it easier to clean. It fills the grout pores and prevents dust and debris from accumulating within them. Alternatively, you could use a colour-matched silicone which would do a similar job.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc 

I will definitely look into both of the options you recommend.  Would you know how is it that some silicone has a sticky finish?  

Cheers 🤗

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Are you referring to new or old silicone that is sticky @Tyro? As silicone ages, it can become quite sticky. So it might be old silicone that needs replacing. If it's new silicone, then it could be non-wet area silicone that has been exposed to moisture, which might send it sticky.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

It's possible that you have provided me with some very satisfactory  information that I shall tackle my handyman about!   He put new silicone around the kitchen metal sink & draining area.  After he did a beautiful job of smoothing out the edges he sprayed window cleaner on it and told me to let it dry.  Now it's tacky. 😫  I assume it was the wet area silicone.

Cheers 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects