Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install battens in bathroom?

awl
Finding My Feet

How to install battens in bathroom?

I'm looking to batten out a bathroom. I need the battens to enable existing electrical and plumbing to remain in place. Wondering what size battens are best and what I should use (including length and diameter) to secure them. Some parts will be painted villa board others will be tiles from floor to ceiling. Cheers Derek.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: battening a bathroom

Hi @awl,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Have you got any photos of the area you are looking to batten out? I'm assuming that the need to batten out the wall means it is a masonry or concrete substrate? Also, can you advise the measurements of the plumbing that would need to be covered? This would help our members to give you some more specific advice.

James Hardie's Villaboard installation guide shows the minimum batten size to be 38mm wide but your choice for timber would all depend on what needs to be covered.

They also don't recommend a specific sized fastener for attaching to walls, stating only to "Use suitable masonry fasteners to securely fix timber/steel battens". Without specific advice, my approach is to always over engineer. Depending on the eventual width of the timber, and the thickness of the substrate, Ramset 10 x 120mm Zinc AnkaScrews at 300mm centres should do the trick.

If you let me know answers to the above questions, I'll happily investigate further and offer more tailored advice.

Jacob

awl
Finding My Feet

Thanks Jacob, I'll come back with the details.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @awl,

The advice I've received from James Hardie is that a standard 70x35 stud on its flat should be an adequate timber for this application. 

Let me know when you've got those details and I'll be more than happy to assist further.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects