Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare bath surface for painting?

Anji
Growing in Experience

How to prepare bath surface for painting?

inbound6092158822622539226.jpg

I am preparing my steel bath for painting with White Knight Tub n tile .Have watched the video but finding it difficult to reduce the gloss on the enamel surface.I have been using 240 grit wet and dry as suggested and also tried 120 grit.I am interested in others experiences please .

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting Bath

Hi @Anji,

It can take quite a bit of elbow grease to abrade the enamel surface on a bathtub. I believe I made reasonable headway with a cork sanding block though I do recall a similar situation where it was challenging. I wanted to avoid mechanical sanding as I knew the paint was lead-based. However, I resorted to using an orbital sander as I couldn't cut through the gloss by hand. I'd recommend you try an orbital sander.

You don't need to remove all the sheen level completely; you're looking for a matt finish where you can't see reflections clearly. 

I trust you are wearing appropriate PPE, but I just thought I'd mention that lead-based paints were used on older baths. I know mine was when I did my re-coat. You can get a lead test kit if you want to find out.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Anji
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell I will be careful and try my mouse sander ...can't use wet and dry with that.How did your bath turn out ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If these Diablo 102 x 62mm Assorted Grit Abrasive All Surface Multi Sander Sheets fit your mouse sander, they should be fine @Anji. I didn't use wet and dry paper. 

I was pleased with the results. If the instructions allow you to use a roller, I would recommend you do. I am a bit of a perfectionist and noticed some brush strokes. However, I believe I got those as I applied the second coat really thick to cover, and it started to run a bit. I went back over an already drying section to try and fix the runs, and that always results in stroke marks.

I did the bath about four years ago, and it's still looking great apart from a couple of little chips. I'm not surprised as for the last three years, it's had kids in there wacking plastic toys around.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Anji
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the advice .No my little sander has a different hole configuration but I have plenty of sheets though heavier grit.I will post some pics of the bathroom tiles I have painted... pleased with the result.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects