Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop a MDF vanity from smelling horrible?

Dj1982
Just Starting Out

How to stop a MDF vanity from smelling horrible?

CAF769F4-402D-4143-9CF1-96FCE67C13AB.jpeg

FEC89477-343F-40C6-83D6-379405D69E01.jpeg

Hi there 

we just had a new vanity installed. 

it smells really bad. We’ve eliminated all the pipe / waste water sort of angles (the smell isn’t sewerage types of odors and all other appliances and drains are fine). So we’re left with the MDF of the vanity itself. (As assuming it isn’t the porcelain top)

ive tried to clean with vinegar, bleach, normal cleaning detergent etc but the smell persists. I just keep the draw closed now as the odor  that comes out is horrible. The vanity drawers are unusable as a result. 

im currently trying a combo of damp rid, bicarbonate of soda sprinkled throughout the interior and a couple drops of nilodor (hasn’t done much after 12 hours or so). 

is there anything else I can try?

thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: horrible and very strong mdf vanity smell

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dj1982. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about a smelly vanity.

Was this one of our products? If so, I'd be more than happy to contact the manufacturer to seek advice on whether this is to be expected.

What I would presume is happening is that you've got a freshly constructed vanity that hasn't been around long since being manufactured. It's been quickly packaged up in bubble wrap and shipped to the retailer. It simply didn't get time to air out. I've experienced a similar thing with MDF cabinetry. After placing it in the bedroom, there was a significant displeasing smell for the best part of a week and then a lingering not-so-bad smell for about a month. You should find that this smell dissipates with time.

This smell is likely coming from the binding agents in the MDF or the coating on the unit. If the drawers appear to be the main culprit, it might be best to remove them and place them outside undercover for a few days to let them air out.

As mentioned, if this is one of our vanities, please let me know, and I'll follow up with the manufacturer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Using your  contacts is there any way to neutralise that smell or diminish it? 

Coat it or mask it?

A month is a long time as you experienced

Hi @Jewelleryrescue

We'll first need to determine whether this is a defective product. If it were one of our products, I would expect there to be some odour for the first day or so but not a prolonged unbearable odour which appears to be the case here. 

There are various ways of masking off-gassing, but most involve coating the product to confine the process. That's not something you'd want to do on a new vanity. Contacting the manufacturer would likely be the most appropriate route in resolving this issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects