Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mounting a dryer without a convenient stud

Jackalman
Just Starting Out

Mounting a dryer without a convenient stud

Hi 

I want to mount my dryer above the washing machine but the studs don't line up. The solution I'm told is to get some wood, screw that to the studs I can access and then mount the dryer. 

Alas there are no convenient studs to do this unless I go high (above the doorway (2400mm)), but then opening the dryer is a bit of a reach, but doable.

I attach a photo of the studs from the build, before the plasterboard went on.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. IMG_9151.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Mounting a dryer without a convenient stud

Hi Andrew (@Jackalman

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and apologies for the slow reply.

I'm sure the ever-helpful @EricL will assist you as soon as possible, but in the meantime you might like to check out these previous discussions as this is a common problem:

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. We're sure you will get loads of helpful information, ideas and inspiration from our clever and creative members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello Andrew (@Jackalman

Thank you for sharing your question about mounting your dryer. 

It's great that my colleague @Jason has pointed you to some previous discussions about mounting dryers. Looking at the picture you posted, it seems the plasterboard wall has not yet been installed. If that is still the case, I suggest placing a piece of timber between the vertical studs left to right. I recommend using pine to bridge the gap and some Zenith 10G x 75mm Gold Passivated Type 17 Countersunk Head Timber Screws - 50 Pack to mount the timber.

I suggest measuring the distance of the mounting point from the floor to where the dryer will actually be mounted. Once you have determined this height, I recommend putting at least three horizontal pieces to give you the option to move the dryer up or down. Please remember to note the height that you placed the horizontal timbers in so that when the plasterboard is installed, you will know where to screw in your dryer mount. 

I've attached a picture with the proposed location of the mounting timbers.

Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Eduardo
Finding My Feet

I just replied to one of links that Jason provided (no studs one), my solution was a dryer stand (no affiliation to the company)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects