Workshop
Ask a question

How to paint a bathroom basin?

InoDIY
Just Starting Out

How to paint a bathroom basin?

Hi All

We bought an over the counter basin for our simple bathroom update. Unfortunately, the backside of the basin was actually unfinished and it has two wall mounting holes. We have a massive mirror behind it and they don't look too good as is.

I am planning to get a tap hole cover for the holes (did I mention simple and cheap 😊) and paint the backside with white gloss paint.

Can anyone point to the right direction on the suitable paint for the job? A spray paint if possible to keep it simple but happy to use a roller if I have to.

Thank you

20240413_154216.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint bathroom basin

Hello @InoDIY 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your bathroom basin.

I suggest plugging the holes at the back with Selleys 50g Knead It Aqua Epoxy Putty. Simply tear off a small piece and mix it with your fingers for activation and then plug the holes with the putty. Place your finger on the other side of the basin to prevent the putty from sinking too far.

Your goal is to fill the hole and have it level to the surface, in that manner you won't have to sand off too much of the putty. Once it is level and the putty has cured, I suggest using White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. This will give you a nice finish similar to a tiled surface if done correctly.

Please make sure to do all your painting outside so that you will not get any accidental splashes of paint in the bathroom. Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects