Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Reno novice - Laundry redo

renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

Reno novice - Laundry redo

Hi there, completely new to all this, have been browsing all the posts with open eyes, super excited to have found this community. Have just bought a 2 bedroom duplex and looking to do some minor (I hope!), and budget (as plan to rent it out) renovations both to laundry and to living area (will post separately) 

Will have a builder to assist but want to get a concrete plan down and potentially keep costs down by providing some of the materials etc. 

My current issues/ideas are 

1. open up room with more light by changing door to light colored oak or similar with glass that opens externally to deck as opposed to internally now

2. light colored timber or similar laminate bench top to encase sink and washing machine, possibly a waterfall over the edge

3. issue with washing machine plumbing is it's set rather high so do I a) look for brass fitting and leave exposed and drill holes in the bench top or b) pricier I imagine, plumber to move and set lower than bench top?

4. we have a top loader but would be happy to replace with front loader to accommodate a bench top - but if kept would need hinged door on benchtop? and if we do a bench top do we limit renters options for their washing machine size etc? Our washing machine seems really high which would make the bench top a bit too high? it's 103mm.

5. would love a ceramic white larger than current sink potentially spaced over to the right, to allow floating timber shelves. 

But with the timber shelves they'd protrude over the window

6. we're limited with storage space so wanted shelves/cabinetry below the sink - like the Bunnings options but not sure if the sizing will fit. Could we do timber shelves next to the door or would it be too tight?

7. our pantry is a whole other re do which I think i'll leave until we've planned the laundry … 

Any suggestions, advice, ideas, products etc would be most appreciated, please let me know if you need more information

Ta very much

current sink and washing machinecurrent sink and washing machinepantry door and door to garagepantry door and door to garagetoilet door and door to outside decktoilet door and door to outside deckWIN_20200906_11_48_01_Pro.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Reno novice - Laundry redo

Hi @renonewbie,

I'd be interested to know whether you are renovating the laundry for yourself or for potential renters. Personally, as a renter, I feel the space appears functional as is and I don't think it needs anything to be done to it. The last thing you'd want is for a tenant to move in and realise their standard washing machine doesn't fit due to a custom benchtop to suit your washing machine. That's not to say you can't freshen up the area, install some new shelving and change that door. They all sound like wonderful ideas.

Do you intend on moving back into the property after it has been rented out? If so I would suggest that would be a good time to customise the benchtop to your liking. You'll find renters want a clean and functional space that is easy to fit their appliances in.

Timber benchtops with waterfall end panels are much more suited to front load washing machines. As you have mentioned, with a top loader you'll run into all sorts of issues if you intend on having it concealed under the bench. Toploaders really don't lend themselves well to sleek timber benchtops and recessed machines.

Let me mention @pete_brig who might like to join the discussion and offer their opinion on your laundry reno whilst keeping it functional for renters.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell, many thanks for the reply and thought out comments. Renovations are mostly for me (first time home owners excitement!), but also I want to keep it practical for when we do have renters. We do plan to move back in later down the track so perhaps I'll leave some of the more major changes for then. I would still love to change the sink to a larger sink and more functional cabinetry through - which would also suit renters.

I wonder if I do the door and then look at moving the washing machine over closer to the door, and using the remaining space for new cabinetry/sink? I like the Bunnings cilo coastal wood range. Would you recommend stainless steel basin over ceramic. If I simply changed the size of the sink and cabinets would I need a plumber? Where would you suggest I fit the shelving? 

@renonewbie,

If you were to move the washing machine over you would be able to get a 600mm base cabinet in there. I can't quite see how your tap is fixed to the wall. Euro sinks normally have their tapware fixed to the bench as per the rendering below. If the tap still reached over the new sink I can't see why you could leave it where it is.

Ceramic inset basins can be quite expensive. The choice of stainless steel or ceramic really comes down to personal preference.

There are not too many places I can see shelving fitting that wouldn't be at a perfect height to bump your head on. There doesn't seem to be enough space above the sink to the left of the window and likewise, if you were to locate them on the other wall next to the door egress is going to be obstructed. If you were thinking somewhere in particular I would be happy to add them to the render so you can see for yourself.

Mitchell

Reno1.png

renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell 

Here's a better pic of the tap. I'm not really sure where to fit the shelves...any where that wouldn't be too problematic...we had thought of bricking in the door to change it to a window to add extra space. On the wall next to window would be best I think. 

15993795341056856530296328203219.jpg

Hi @renonewbie (&thanks @MitchellMc,  I think 🤔). Definitely a challenge with th size & so many doors.

My first comment is to ask how long U plan till U move & put it up for rent? As Mitch said, it's functional ATM. No offence intended to renters but (speaking from recent experience) U don't know if they'll treat it with th same care as yrself--there are some great tenants & some at the other end of the spectrum, just like some landlords can be considerate & others out to screw th tenants. So depending on th timeframe, U may be happier to leave it for now & freshen it up when U move back.

That said, if U planned around a front loader, U could do quick makeover by putting a bench over th machine & tub. i did that & made a removable insert over th tub, & created a semi circular cutout to feed th hoses & power under th bench to th machine--approx $100 for a 30mm thick by 600mm wide acacia panel (2100 long) plus screws and timber for a ledger on th back wall. More adventurous would b to reduce or take out the window to put cupboards/shelves over th tub & WM. Replace the door with a door with full glass insert ($250 for a simple glass nsert external door). Next step up would b to replace th tub with base unit as per Mitch and a sink.

That's all for now... Cheers

P.s. for ideas check out  this post on workshop

@renonewbie,

Here's another render with some shelves in the locations mentioned. You'll be able to see what I mean about them protruding out and limiting access. Your current mixer tap can be installed straight into a timber benchtop. Depending on where the plumbing work is on the wall you might be able to just simply swap the sink/tub for cabinet and euro sink.

Mitchell

renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

thanks @MitchellMc and @pete_brig 

for the advice..... new plan.... any suggestions welcomed.

I'm going to leave the washing machine as is so as to keep it functional for renters. (Good advice 👍

Would still like to brighten it up a bit so have gotten quoted up a kaboodle cabinet, white melamine doors and melamine like timber benchtop. Then I'll do a cut out and insert a ceramic or granite sink 🤔 (maybe cefito though not sure on quality)

Door wise I've only found a top window external door in bunnings catalogue? Size I need is 720 x 2040 x 35 or 40. Which I'll install and paint white.

I wonder if I could put narrow shelves up by the window above the bench top (narrow so they wouldn't cover window) and in a similar timber color to the bench top. 

Better plan?

Let me also tag @redracer01 to see if he could add to this discussion for you @renonewbie as @MitchellMc is taking a break at the moment and won't be back on the site until Friday. 

Thanks,

Jason

@renonewbie

What features were you looking for on the door? I can see a couple which would allow more light in- Hume Doors & Timber Joinery Clear Glass External Door - 720mm x 2040mm x 40mm and Hume Joinery Clear Glass External Door - 720mm x 2040mm x 40mm

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects