Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Water damaged bathroom vanity top

DinahW
Just Starting Out

Water damaged bathroom vanity top

Hi! We are renting. Our bathroom vanity top has several holes that have swollen because of water getting in. (See image) Could anyone suggest how to fix these holes? Thanks! 

37215614-0520-4662-AFB8-3454C3A1BF46.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water damaged bathroom vanity top

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DinahW. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

As someone who is a long term renter myself, the advice I would give to an owner vs a renter would be different. As a renter, your first priority is to report the wear/damage to your property manager. If this is wear and tear then the owner would appreciate knowing about it so they can fix the issue before it causes more damage to their property.

If you have inadvertently damaged the top causing this issue, then there are limited and really only band-aid solutions to this problem. You could fill in the timber area with CustomPine 12.5ml White Melamine Mend Paint which will colour the area white. Repainting the entire top with Dulux Gloss Renovation Range Tiles And Benchtop could also be an option. Please be aware neither of these products will fix an underlying water egress issue. If water is entering the benchtop elsewhere causing these holes then that issue needs to be solved.

As I mentioned previously the first place to start is with the property manager. By repairing or concealing this damage now, you could cause further more extensive repairs to be needed in the future which will then be your responsibility.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jillofskills
Getting Established

Re: Water damaged bathroom vanity top

I’m renting also. The basin/cabinetry was WAY worse”. I got permission from the owner and redid the whole bathroom. Ripped out the oversized sink fixture in the tiny bathroom is refurbished an old antique hall stand to use as the sink to maximise space. Painted floors and ships late, tiles. New toilet seat. I think it cost me under $150 including tiles (and I used the paint elsewhere). 
But to answer your question? I think the “cheap fix” would be gap fill it and sand it back (including the laminate) and paint over the whole section with a laminate paint. Personally, I’d rip it out! But that’s me. Ha!

74B23095-B177-4DEB-B9B3-154AC2D149BA.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects