Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to increase the pigment in white house paint?

Gloellas
Growing in Experience

How to increase the pigment in white house paint?

Hi there.  I am painting the area under my house including the bottom of the floor boards above.  Last year Aldi had a special sale of ceiling paint.  I knew I would need a lot so at the price it was I bought up.  I should have known better because I had previously discovered their art paints have very low pigment.  The same goes for this ceiling paint unfortunately. I might as well paint on water.

I am priming the boards first, but would like to use up this paint for the top coat.

I figure I could buy some good quality paint and mix it in with the Aldi paint to increase the pigment.

I was wondering though if there is a pigment I can buy to add to the paint instead?  I would like to compare costs.

If not, what is the strongest pigment white paint Bunnings sells?

Thanks for any help 🙂

Cheers Gayle 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to increase the pigment in white house paint?

Hi @Gloellas,

Have you ensured that you've mixed the product entirely? Pigment settles to the bottom of the container, and you really need to get in there with a flat-bladed stirrer and scrape it up off the bottom. If the paint is, in fact, like water, I would suggest returning it. Even our most budget-friendly paints (which I've used recently) have full coverage and are no more translucent than our more premium varieties. 

In answer to your question, you can buy just pigments. I'd suggest having a word with a friendly paint expert at your local Bunnings store. The amount needed to turn watery paint into something with full coverage would be substantial. 

I personally wouldn't compromise a good-quality paint by mixing it with what you have, as it will dilute its effectiveness. If anything, I'd bin what you have, purchase budget-friendly paint, and use that instead.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gloellas
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell.  I have stirred it thoroughly.  When I said water, I meant it will take 2 coats at least to what other brands would be 1 coat.  I've already done 2 coats of primer (also Aldi brand).

I am contemplating giving it away on marketplace.  I will ask in store about pigments.

Cheers 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Most brands take two coats to cover (or one really thick coat), so it doesn't sound too bad @Gloellas. Picking up 250mL of white pigment could solve the issue. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gloellas
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell.  I have ended up just doing 4 costs.  🙂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects