Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Apple tree not blossoming

leec
Getting Established

Apple tree not blossoming

My 20+-year-old apple tree in Sydney seems to have problems.

Last year, it produced no apples and had few leaves.

Today is 25/09/2021, it had opened two buds so far and no new leaves.

Should it be blossoming by now? 

If so, I will start cleaning up the agapanthus around it.

Many thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: apple tree not blossoming

Hi @leec,

Would you be able to post an image of the tree, so our helpful members have a better idea of its general health? When was the last time that it had blooms, apples and new leaf growth? Can you think of anything that has changed in between then and now? Before the issues you see now, did you have a massive crop of apples? After a large harvest, the subsequent years can yield little to no flowers or fruit. When was the last time you fertilised?

Apples bloom at the beginning of Spring, so I would have expected a healthy tree to be producing them now. Have weather, frost or perhaps animals damaged any buds or blossoms? Are there any signs that the grown buds have fallen?

I am looking forward to more details surrounding the decline of the plant. Once we have those, I'll be able to notify our expert horticulturists to get their opinions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
leec
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell.

the last crop was 3 years ago, all eaten by the rainbow lorikeets in about ten minutes.

It looked like the agapanthus rooting system took water and nutrients meant for the apple tree.

I just spent two hours clearing out the agapanthus around the root of the apple tree. 

IMG_20210926_125625.jpgPlease see the attached photo.  Hopefully, the leaves of the apple tree will grow back soon.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the photo @leec.

You might find this guide helpful - How to grow and prune an apple tree.

Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle for her thoughts based on your photo and description.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @leec 

Apple trees mostly flower and fruit on spurs - short nobbly growths clusters of buds. The long shoots (laterals) need to be cut back to two or three nodes (buds or joints on shoots) so the spurs will develop. Your tree looks like it hasn't been pruned at all or rather in the right way for the past year or two.

A well pruned tree should look like this - a mass of fruit-bearing spurs.

Noelle_0-1632702961807.jpeg

It may take a year or two of pruning and spur development before you get blossom and fruits.Read the How to article Jason suggested and also undertake a little more online research yourself. One of Bunnings' suppliers - Flemings Nurseries - has some great pruning guides on its website www.flemings.com.au

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects