Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Arlec Grid Connect garden lights first look

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Arlec Grid Connect garden lights first look

20220820_111209.jpg

20220820_111421.jpg

Hey to all the automation Bunnings peeps out there, I wanted share the new and exciting product line by Arlec Grid Connect of the Garden Light range.

On offer is a 4 pack of RGB spot lights Wifi which are a die cast aluminium coupled with a IP44 transformer.

Second is a 4 pack of RGB bollard lights die cast aluminium with spikes coupled with IP44 transformer once again Wifi.

Both look of good quality and feel sturdy, I have not had the ability to power these up and run these through the paces but the automation options are as below.

One thing you will need to consider is Wifi coverage to your garden so best to check that on your device and see how many bars on your phone at the location.

Other than that I'm pretty excited about these lights and they are worth a look at your local Bunnings 

20220820_111217.jpg

Carl

Walter

Re: Arlec Grid Connect Garden Lights First Look

Count me in @CSParnell .

I've had a Bunnings gift card burning a hole in my wallet for a fortnight. I'm going to check out my local store tomorrow, and I have the perfect spot for therm

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Walter they have just come in as Promotional this week so just ask if you can't see them out on display. 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Screenshot_20220821-085425.jpg

Screenshot_20220821-085501.jpg

  

They do look pretty snazzy, @CSParnell. I might need to check them out myself!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @CSParnell @MitchellMc 

They don't have them at my local Bunnings (I went in today), but i'll definitely be buying the Bollard lights ASAP, as the price is excellent, and Fathers Day is coming up, so guess what I want😍😎

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Walter they may not be in yet as they have just arrived at my store on Thursday and are not out on the floor yet.

If not jump on the app and see who has them in stock around you.

Carl

Hey @CSParnell , 

not here yet, and for an odd reason they don't appear in the app for me.

I showed one of the staff at my local store, and they looked up the part, but they have no idea when they will be in.

Looking at your grid connect thread on tips, I'm thinking of doing some "If THIS then THAT" routines, that will match the lighting (automated) on my back deck, and I think I should have spent a bit more on the back deck heater (I bought an arlec one with remote, but not one with smarts). I'll add a smart plug to the mix to give me the result I want, even though it's getting warmer in the evening, we have a few more nights of cool.

When I get my new sun blinds installed for the back deck (later this year), I'm planning on having them smart controlled.  That will require a bit of thinking as I won't want them down in high winds, but will want them to drop as the sun hits the west and the temperature is up a bit.

I'm thinking of doing some arduino controlling, and having it feed off information from my arduino weather station.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Walter 

Ask the click and collect team to Etos a set or 2 across from another store that has them for you it can be done fairly easily.

I am still playing around with that smart plug I am liking the available variables to drawer down on to run automations.

One thing I did notice today is that although I thought I avoided notifications of delay countdown interruption error via my usual method of running an automation to turn off the countdown scene to my suprise the switching off of the plug just hung all settings for around 3 to 4 minutes then went off-line so no variables to trigger it off were possible but I will figure it out.

For your blinds that defiantly sounds line a great idea you may need to move to Home Assistant as your parent program to tie it together and also to have all the functions you will need. A Raspberry PI as your server and you are away.

I have it loaded up on a Linux Debium system but have not crossed over to it yet as I have not hit my limit yet with Grid / Tuya / Google.

Just an update.

I bought the bollards, linked them up and they are great, have to be careful about the grass so no mowing or whipper snipper along the row, even though the cables are underground.

I had also hooked up a strip light along the back deck ceiling wall (different manufacturer), and along with an outdoor Google Home Speaker, i'm a happy little vegemite.

All worked well until one day, when trying to change the colour of the bollards by voice command, Google told me "That feature is not available for that device" it happened to both devices, but all of my smart lights worked properly, and I could change colours via the apps on the phone.

So no amount of uninstalling/reinstalling/resetting worked (via the Google Support groups), and then one day, recently they just began to work, so I can only assume that's a result of a server side change by Google.

Just goes to show, sometimes it's not your fault 😎

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects