Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bandicoots

Flo54
Getting Established

Bandicoots

Does anyone know how to deter bandicoots from the garden?

WCE2019
Former Community Member

Re: Bandicoots

We have a problem with bandicoots coming and eating all our cat's food,
so, she doesn't get any, she is an outdoor cat and HATES going inside.
what do recommend?
We live in WA, roleystone....
semi rural
Thanks
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I'd install some lights @WCE2019. Put a motion sensor on them.  

WCE2019
Former Community Member

Thanks @MartyH 

Would that scare it off?

it is REALY tame,

like i can get to within 5cm of it without is moving!!

lindisfarnelad
Finding My Feet

I live in Hobart and have laid Dynamic Lifter around my fence line.  They dig through it and, Oi suspect, eat it.

My garden is also full of solar lights - about 80 of them.  Some turn on when there is action.  Others go through the night.  The bandicoots are not deterred one bit.  Brazen as pie.

Hopefully members will have some other suggestions for you @lindisfarnelad.

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects around the house and garden. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That’s easy! Put your cats’ food on a large box or a low table and let your cat eat it where the bandicoots can’t reach it. Cat food or biscuits aren’t really very good for bandicoots, although they don’t know it, and will eat it if they can :smile: Seeing as this is an old conversation and I’ve just seen it, I hope it’s still valid. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tairbair

It's great to have you join us. I'm sure @Flo54 appreciates your input and no doubt others with a similar issue will find your comment helpful. We look forward to hearing about the projects around your house and garden and encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share with the community. There are loads of helpful and creative members sharing their projects and advice here regularly and I trust you'll have plenty to contribute also.

Mitchell

Hi @lindisfarnelad . I live in South East Queensland and have had a bandicoot problem in my garden since I started using a compost bin.  Even though the compost is sealed in a vermin-proof bin, the smell seems to drive the bandicoots wild, and they dig everywhere around the bin as if to say "where is that delicious rotting food ... it must be here somewhere".  They are endearing looking creatures but unfortunately they carry thousands of ticks (including paralysis ticks), and drop them in the garden.  I have been bitten by ticks 3 times since establishing the use of my compost bin, and at least one of them was a paralysis tick.  Before that, I never had a tick problem in my garden for years, so I do blame the bandicoots.

Like you, I have also found that bandicoots are not the least deterred by flood lights and are as brazen as pie.  I suspect the Dynamic Lifter is only good for days or perhaps a week until the ammonium smell dissipates and after that the rotten smell just attracts them (like my compost does).  I just read about an ammonium product called D-Ter (a powder which you make up into a spray).  It is supposed to be non-toxic and harmless but acts as a repellant. It is supposed to last up to 12 weeks.  I'm going to give it a try.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @callistemon. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for joining the discussion.

It's great that you've added your experience and recommended an option. I agree that the Dynamic lifter would only be good until it ages, and even before that, the ammonia levels are likely not extremely high. Perhaps a more concentrated ammonia product like Richgro 5kg Sulphate Of Ammonia might last longer. The added benefit is that it can be used as a lawn greening agent.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. We would encourage you to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share, even if that something to share is progress updates on your continual battle with these delightful but sometimes irritating native animals.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc

Thanks for your warm welcome!  And thanks for the suggestion re Richgro 5kg Sulphate Of Ammonia (which is new to me).  I might try that on my front lawn (even though it's mostly weeds), and recommend it to a friend who has a bandicoot problem in his backyard.

I appreciate the tip.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects