Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Curl grubs in pot plant

EllaCourtney
Growing in Experience

Curl grubs in pot plant

Hi there! I have never had a home or garden until about 6 months ago, and have been delighted by a little cumquat tree I got from bunnings the week we moved in. It went from flowers to an abundance of fruit for its 3 tiny branches - but recently started looking a bit sadder and leaves were spotted with yellow. I decided to repot it (finally) and got some citrus potting mix. 

When I took it out of the original pot I discovered 4 fat curl grubs munching away on the roots! I was horrified - but after checking there were no more, continued to put it into the new pot and soil. I later read on google that maybe I should have rinsed the roots to make sure there was none of the 'infected' soil left attached, and discarded the original soil. Is that right?

TLDR: Curl worms discovered when repotting - should I chuck the whole lot out now and get new soil?!

Photo on 2-7-20 at 12.48 pm.jpgPhoto on 3-7-20 at 12.07 pm.jpg

Would love your help with this! 

Nat2
Building a Reputation

Re: Curl grubs in pot plant

Hi All,

I just wanted to give you an update on how I went with the soapy water soil drench. Unfortunately I had no curl grubs to remove the next day after peeling back the wet cloth. This may be because I had dug out quite a few (20) the day before I tried this method. Or possibly one watering can wasn’t enough as it is a very large pot (70cm dimeter). Either way I will keep an eye on the plant and try this method again in the future if I notice more grubs. For now my finger lime is starting to put out some new growth and flower buds after a very severe pruning a few months ago. 
Thanks.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Nat2,

Thank you for the update about your curl grubs, it is great news you haven't seen any more come up. I'll tag @MitchellMc to notify him of your success. Amazing that your finger lime has new growth and the flowers are starting to bud! Would love to see a photo of it in full bloom. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JD2
Just Starting Out

Would it be safe to do that to a potted Japanese amaple

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JD2. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about curl grubs.

There's been a bit of information shared in this thread. If you could please identify the advice you're enquiring about, I'd be happy to confirm whether it also applies to a Japanese maple.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

I realise this is an old post but that is not how curl grubs get into pots, they are the larvae of beetles, the beetle lands on the pot, burrows into the potting mix and lays eggs

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Annette6. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

Thanks for clarifying that for our members. I'd agree; that's the most likely scenario when encountering larvae in pots.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the home and garden. Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects