Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cymbidiums query

Highlighted
Budding Contributor

Cymbidiums query

I have a problem (I think) on a cymbidium orchid. I am not sure if this is the mosaic virus or not. It looks a bit like it from pictures I have research, but I really need to know as I believe it is incurable and likely to spread. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Cheers,

PrueP1010187.jpgP1010188.jpgP1010189.jpgP1010190.jpg

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Cymbidiums query

Hi @Prue,

Let me tag the wonderful horticulturalists @Noelle and @Adam_W for you to see if they could assist in diagnosing the issue with your orchid.

Thanks for the great photos, they should help a lot. You might also like to share where you are based. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Cymbidiums query

Hi @Prue 

This does not look like mosaic virus to me - the size and lack of intensity of the blackened areas hints at something other than a viral infection. These are random areas of fine spots which don't follow the usual pattern of how a virus appears and spreads on cymbidiums and other orchids.

This image below is far more typical - with yellowing and black streaking occurring along the length of the leaf rather than a random patch of small dots.

Noelle_0-1585717685479.jpeg

What your leaf seems to have looks to be more like a fungal issue - a mildew or mould that is more superficial - or a cultural problem.

Whatever it is, remove the affected leaf by cutting it off at the base and dispose of it carefully. Keep a watch for any further development on other leaves and by all means come back to us if you spot further symptoms.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects