Workshop
Ask a question

How to deal with weeds in buffalo grass?

ksnate
Just Starting Out

How to deal with weeds in buffalo grass?

IMG_5047.jpeg

IMG_5045.jpeg

IMG_5044.jpeg

IMG_5043.jpeg

    

Hi hoping for some help with my lawn! I have buffalo grass and recently extended around the edges with Sir Walter 4 weeks ago. Never had issues with weeds prior, since laying the new lawn the whole area (new and established) has come up with weeds (looks like either white clover or oxalis). I am wondering the best weed killer to use and when I would be able to apply this to the new lawned areas. One issue is that the established Buffalo grass preceded my time in this house so not sure if it is a variety that can withstand selective weed killers like Bin-Die as I’m not sure what variety it is. Any help would be appreciated!  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dealing with weeds in buffalo grass

Hi @ksnate,

All common varieties of Buffalo in Australia can typically cope with selective weeders like Bin-Die. The ST varieties commonly seen overseas in America have issues with it. 

After four weeks, the surrounding Buffalo should be somewhat established. Applying Bin-Die now shouldn't adversely affect it.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, huge help.

I have an adjacent garden bed with the same weeds cropping up, is it appropriate to use the bin die there also or it may affect my growing shrubs? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ksnate 

It should be ok to use on your adjacent garden bed. However, I suggest not spraying too close to your shrubs, especially if they are newly planted. You can also wait for your shrubs to establish themselves before you spray the other side of your garden.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using Bin-Die. Please make sure to follow the safety guide printed at the back of the container.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects