Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I prune or trim the replanted rose plant?

Jue
Finding My Feet

Do I prune or trim the replanted rose plant?

IMG20231130100738.jpg

 recently as I did my backyard landscaping I had to replant 3of my Rose plants.  Though initially 2 of them didn't seem to survive but to my delight new leaves started growing again.  However 1of them as pictured initially was in a better shape than the other 2but gradually the leaves were also drying out.  It flowered a lot during the recent spring before the replanting.  Can I revive it?  I'm still not losing hope n keep watering it daily..the little green shoot is from the same plant. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Do I prune or trim the replanted rose plant?

Good Evening @Jue 

😕 Ouch to your rose bush. Tho It does have some leaves down the base.

Transplanting roses should be done in winter as far as I know so you are behind the eightball atm but there is life in those green leaves!.
Is your soil sandy?
And is it the same type of soil that the rose bush originally came from?

Can you bend/snap the smaller branches on it? and if so are they soft inside and look alive?

Do you live in a hot area (hahahah Yeah Austrailia is a little hot but you get my drift :smile: )

A few things I would try if you dont get a better answer (And I would really wait until the experts get here who leave me in the dust for plant wise info)

Heavy pruning would be first step, Your soil looks like its heavy sand ladden so id be checking the PH of the soil and seeing if it matches up with what your type of rose wants. Organic matter is needed by the look of it. 

When you transplant roses, do so during winter when they are dormant and prune beforehand is what my Grandmother taught me.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jue. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rose care.

It's great to see that you've already received a helpful response from @Dave-1.

When re-planting roses, it is best to follow a guide similar to How to plant a tree, shrub, or a rose. This includes the preparation of the soil. Did you use a rose-specific mix or plant in the sandy soil? 

It's a bit hard to tell the exact reason for the decline after the transplant, but as mentioned, it's best done in the cooler months. As for their current situation, if the only new growth is from the base, then there is a reasonable chance that the top grafted rose has died off, and this new growth is coming from the grafted rootstock. Unfortunately, the root stock will not have the same flowering attributes as the grafted top stock. If there are no signs of life on the top of the plant, they might be past saving. You can trim any dead material from the top to try and stimulate growth there.

Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @mich1972 and @Noelle, for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Jue I Think your rose will probably not recover, those shoots below are from the rootstock, they are watershoots and if the rose was healthy and growing you need to remove them, pulling them off from the heel. May I ask if you added any soil improvement when you transplanted at the time ? As that sand is looking very hydrophobic. I’ll wait and see what @Noelle advises 🪴😃

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Jue 

I'm in complete agreement with Mitchell and Mich1972 - the rose is long past resuscitation unfortunately. A bush of this size is best transplanted over winter while it is dormant and yes, pruning after planting out is recommended.

Jue
Finding My Feet

Thanks guys for the feedback.. Ive pruned some branches n cleared off all the dead leaves.  I've also pulled out the new shoot from the root to save it.   I noticed after clearing the dead leaves some branches are still looking green (see pictures)..  so Im still hoping I could somehow salvage.  A friend suggested seasol seaweed liquid fertilizer which I bought from Bunnings that I thought helped the other 2roses to revive.  May I know how do I check the PH level of the soil?  The soil should be the same as the soil that the tradie uprooted  the rose. Thanks again

IMG20231217175729.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jue,

Here's hoping for a miracle!

Bunnings stocks soil PH testing kits.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects