Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Growing and caring for chilli plants

bergs
Making a Splash

Growing and caring for chilli plants

Chilli.jpg

Hi, I'm trying to over winter my Chillies. Last season they were all coming on strong when Autumn came. I thought that if I tried to keep the plants alive it would give me a head start this season. I'm in Victoria (cool temperate).

I have googled it, but it's mainly British and American area guides. I trimmed them back fairly harshly and located the potted ones in a sheltered spot in the garden and backed the watering right off. They are a mixed variety.

So far one is showing signs of shooting. There has been a fair bit of die back which I have now trimmed off. The weather is not far away from getting a bit warmer, so the hopefully, they will take off again and give me earlier crops.

I had preserved (pickled) quite a few but stocks have run out.

Has anyone else had any success in over wintering Chillies? If so please share your methods with us.

Thanks and Cheers🍻Bergs

Be happy and care for your tools

Re: OVER WINTERING CHILLIES

@laidbackdood,

I don't have any particular issues with mine setting fruit but if you lack bees this can be a bit of any issue. I'd recommend taking one flower and hand pollinating all the others. It only takes a minute to do 20 or more flowers. Simply rub the anthers (little yellow things that hold the pollen) onto the other flowers anthers. You can also to this with a paintbrush, just collect the pollen off one flower and paint it onto the others.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Growing and caring for chilli plants

Heya @bergs,

How are your chill plants going after the winter? Any spring movement as yet?

I haven't touched my plants as yet but have a new round of seeds growing on the kitchen sill in some Jiffy peat pots.  

Hope you are staying safe and well.

Jason

Hi @mich1972 

Those Reapers look pretty good to me.

I bought a couple of plants a few years back but couldn't get them to over winter very well.

A few fruit from them and they are seriously hot.

My glasses fogged up and the beads of perspiration on the forehead made you aware how potent they are.

I now just go with the Manzano's.

They are a  Rocoto and they don't mind the cool weather.

They are middle of the road with their heat so can be used in just about everything.

They crop heavily and two bushes is plenty to last throughout the year.

bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @Jason 

You're just ahead of me. 

I planted all my veggie seeds last weekend.

I've sown chilli seeds of all sorts including Manzano, Thai, Super, Habanero, Nellie Kellie and Cayenne.

They are all in the little plastic hot houses.

I normally put them on the heat pad but I haven't done that this time (couldn't find it).

Meanwhile I'm in the  middle of organising to move my Manzano's (2) out of the veggie patch as they had taken over 3 beds.

They were about 5-6ft tall with a spread of about the same.

I have watered them well and each week I will drive the spade down one of the sides and after 4 weeks, hopefully I can lift them out like a pot plant and reposition to a spot where they can grow as big as they like.

I didn't have a lot of luck over wintering my other chillies this year. My Nellie Kellie gave up after I think about 5 seasons and the Black Pearl doesn't look too well. It's about the same age and has died completely back except for some tiny new shoots, so I have repotted it and crossed my fingers.

I think some of the plants dried out while I was away. Can't expect too much if yo go away and it doesn't rai that much. Daughter kept an eye on most thing but it's not the same as when we're here.

After all if they all kark it there's a place down the road called Bunnings and they have plants😀

I have been able to find plenty to do since we came home and have the restrictions. It curtails us a bit but plenty to take your mind off it. I know it must be tough for some so I hope all is good and everyone is keeping healthy.

Cheers🍻

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

The heat pad is a good idea, thanks @bergs. I think we have one somewhere that used to go under a fish tank for hermit crabs when our kids were younger. 

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I heard "heat pad" and my ears perked up! I was considering purchasing the Mr Fothergill's Propagation Heat Pad. I did have a great little hothouse which had an in-built heating element but I believe my sister-in-law has permanently borrowed it. I had bought it because some of the really hot chillis need a ridiculous constant temperature of well over 25 degrees Celcius to germinate. 

Has anyone tried the Mr Fothergill's heat pad?

Mitchell

Hi,

I changed my mind about moving my Manzano chillies because after trimming them right back, they started to shoot again and looked very healthy.

Even though I had used a spade to cut down around the roots.

I even sowed another three plants that I'd grown from seeds.

They're all doing exceptionally well. 

After the cut backAfter the cut backNow thriving with plenty of fruitNow thriving with plenty of fruit

My Black Pearl died after about 5 years, but another seedling came up in its place and I sowed seeds and now have quite a few new plants.

5 years not too bad5 years not too badThe new self sown plantThe new self sown plant

Some more seedlingsSome more seedlingsHabaneros' Just starting to form fruitHabaneros' Just starting to form fruit

I think if you want to grow chillies in the cooler climates and try and over winter them, then the Manzano and the Black Pearl are good value and I haven't had to shelter them from the cold. 

I have Thai, Nellie Kellie and Super Chillies all growing well from seed that I collected.

This weather here in Geelong at the moment leaves a lot to be desired. We haven't had much warm weather.

Anyway we just have to make the most of it and hopefully our veggies will grow and ripen up soon.

Cheers and happy gardening.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for the update on your chillies @bergs they look fantastic!

I've finally seen some chillies coming through on my own plants, not that I actually eat them considering one is a Bhut Jolokia and the other a Trinidad Scorpion. I really only grow them for the amusement factor as I'm more of a Habanero eater. I prefer a hot sweat and a tingle on the tongue as opposed to overwhelming pain.

It's great to hear that your gardening is going so well please keep us updated on your progress.

Mitchell

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Tip from not my wife...

Sichuan Pepper if you use enough of it numbs your mouth so you can eat hotter chilli.

I will have to see if the seeds translated to Red Hot Dragon are still viable.

chefyash
Cultivating a Following

I'm trying hard to find rocoto manzano chillies in sydney..where did you get your seeds from first.i bought seeds from 2 separate individuals on eBay but they didn't germinate at all which surprised me since I've been able to germinate and grow reapers thai birdseye and other 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects