Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I get rid of this discolouration on my Viburnum plant?

adamlin
Cultivating a Following

How can I get rid of this discolouration on my Viburnum plant?

Hi All,

Could anyone help with this damage to this Viburnum plant?

I think it is damage from thrips, because I have noticed similar insects there, but I'm not sure and looking for confirmation.

They have affected a large majority of a few of my plants.

Image (1).jpegImage (4).jpegImage (3).jpegImage (2).jpegImage.jpeg

Regards

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I get rid of this discolouration on my Viburnum plant?

Hi @adamlin,

Quite likely thrips and possibly aphids or other insects that have joined the party.

I see you've opened up and reduced the amount of foliage and cleaned up leaf litter on the ground, which is a good start. Thrips thrive in dense foliage and over-winter in ground litter. 

I recommend grabbing some Yates 200ml Nature's Way Vegie And Herb Concentrate and a garden sprayer and thoroughly coating your plants, including the underside of all leaves. Apply every five to seven days until you notice a decline in thrips. This product also controls aphids, mealybugs, two-spotted mites, spider mites and whitefly. Next spring, keep a close eye on your plants and begin spraying again as soon as you see signs of thrips. Mature thrips are particularly hard to control, and this is likely going to be a battle for a couple of years.

Since your plants are fighting to stay alive (but showing good signs with the new growth), I'd treat them to some Seasol to help them deal with the stresses of the infestation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
adamlin
Cultivating a Following

Re: How can I get rid of this discolouration on my Viburnum plant?

Thanks Mitchell!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects