Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I grow a hedge on my front yard?

raonic
Just Starting Out

How can I grow a hedge on my front yard?

Hello everyone,

I've got a bunch of agaveplants in my front yard, and there's a park right in front of my house. I want to put up a hedge to separate my place from the park. There's this huge gum tree out front that gives great shade, so I need a plant that can handle shade well. I was thinking about murraya, but I have no clue where to start. So, I've got a few questions:

1. How do I get rid of the current plants and prep the soil for the hedge?
  2. How far apart should I plant the hedge plants?
  3. I've heard that the gum tree in front of my house might steal water from the hedge. How do I deal with that?

Thanks for any tips you can give me!

IMG_5531.jpg

IMG_5530.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I grow a hedge on my front yard?

Hello @raonic 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about planting Murraya.

I'm a firm believer in recycling and I suggest finding another spot for your agave plants or gift them to friends and family. 

If you are seeking a privacy screen, windbreak, or noise barrier, it is advisable to space your Murraya plants between 60cm to 70cm to establish a dense hedge. If you intend to use Murraya to border your walkway or driveway, opt for taller varieties and space them at least 91cm to 107cm apart.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Planting, growing and pruning Murraya hedges.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects