Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix dead sections in Buffalo lawn?

ebonyrt
Finding My Feet

How to fix dead sections in Buffalo lawn?

Hi all,

Just needing some assistance with identifying what could be wrong with my buffalo lawn and what steps I should take next. For context, I live in central QLD and the sun is usually blasting. Since November last year the grass has been looking not as nice and now there are more round dead circles as well as sections that look brown/dry? But I’m unsure if it’s due to the lawn having a fungus issue and needing to be aerated, or if it’s just dry or if it’s grubs? At the moment due to the heat I try to water twice a week, but have only just realised I may be adding to the problem. Please see below photos for reference.

This was the condition of the grass in July 2023. Was very nice and lush.

IMG_0569.jpeg

The below photos I took 2 days ago of different sections in the yard.

IMG_0553.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg

Any feedback and tips would be greatly appreciated! I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid. Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is there anything wrong with my buffalo lawn?

Hello @ebonyrt 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your lawn. 

A few things come to mind such as birds or pets digging in the lawn, soil compaction or seasonal change. I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to detect lawn problems by @Adam_W. I propose doing a bit of an investigation on the dry and browning spots of your lawn.

Have a look if the lawn has been clawed or pulled away, it's a definite sign that an animal has been digging into it. Check for compaction, the soil would be hard and compressed. If you see that it is compacted, I suggest using an aerating tool such as the Saxon Lawn Aerator Sandals or similar and walk around the compacted area and the rest of your lawn.

Another possible reason could be that your soil is running low on nutrients and needs to be fertilized. I suggest Seasol 2L Buffalo Lawn Fertiliser. I also recommend having a look at this discussion - How to repair brown patches on buffalo lawn? by @NateZheng.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Is there anything wrong with my buffalo lawn?

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for your prompt response! I will start with your suggestions and see how I go. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects