Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I make this area better?

MzMeadz
Just Starting Out

How can I make this area better?

20210116_182703.jpg

20210116_182644.jpg

20200321_075812.jpg

This area here is an eye sore in my back yard and I just want to get rid of it and spruce it up. I am new to all this home reno/diy  can someone please give me some advice on what I can do to make this area look more enjoyable as it is on our backyard.

That exposed land is solid clay and was a nightmare to retain.  I would love to add a small vegetable garden, garden sculpture, and a couple of plants but what to do to hide that ugly rocky wall. 

Any ideas or suggestion would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I make this better

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MzMeadz. It's terrific to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If you incorporate the rocky wall well, you could turn it into a feature instead of an eye-sore. You would first need to address where exactly you want to plant and if that is possible. You mention that the land is solid clay. For plants to thrive, you'll need to remove some clay from behind the retaining wall and add some garden soil instead. Any plantings in the clay are going to struggle. I can't tell from the photo, but if the bottom retaining wall is low enough, you could consider placing some raised garden beds on top. This would allow you to fill them with quality soil and avoid removing clay from the area.

Would it be possible to take a photo from further away from the wall encompassing more of the backyard, as it would assist our members in providing some advice for landscaping the area?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can I make this area better?

Hi @MzMeadz,

Looking forward to seeing some wider shots of your backyard as per Mitch's request so we can have a wider perspective of what you have to work with.

You might also find @Adam_W's comprehensive guide How to plan a garden makeover very helpful at this stage.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects