Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a tree house?

mjkworldwide
Growing in Experience

How to build a tree house?

Have promised the kids a tree house - and now have to deliver!

The intent was always to build a platform rather than attach to the tree, however digging the post holes I found so many large roots that I think the dig would seriously damage the tree.

I'm planning an alternative as indicated in the photo sketch. Bolting the posts to a support frame that would sit on the ground. All posts and supports are large and heavy 150mmx150mm timber. Tree house platform will only be 1.55m high.

My questions to you guys are..

1) Do you think this freestanding design will be structurally strong enough without the posts concreted into the ground? I assume some diagonal bracing may help

2) What kind of fasteners would you use in positions 1 to attach the support posts to the frame on the ground and 2 to attach the sides to the posts. Assume bolts best over lag screws.1.jpg

Thanks so much for your advice!!

Re: How to build a tree house?

Hi @mjkworldwide,

Any holes in a beam will affect its structural integrity to some extent. Do I think you've affected the structural integrity of these beams to the extent of them not being fit for purpose? Not at all.

What you have read is likely a combination of literature on manufactured I-beams and structural weight-bearing timber in homes. You're not holding up walls and a roof with these beams or supporting literal tons of weight. You've already over-engineered this structure, which could have been built from Pine. Even then, I don't believe the holes would be a concern. As it stands, I wouldn't doubt the structure's ability to support a family-sized SUV. 

I'll never tell someone that additional bracing is not a good idea. If you're worried, add some bracing as pictured, especially if it will put your mind at ease.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects