Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wicking garden bed?

prav21ooty
Just Starting Out

How to build a wicking garden bed?

Hello Bunnings community, I am after some advice on wicking garden beds. I am following the steps on the Bunnings website https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/planting-and-growing/how-to-build-a-wicking-bed 

I’m unsure as to what size (diameter) agri hose to buy and what size drill I have to make on the bed for the outlet. I’m also bit unsure about how 19mm poly joiner connects with agri hose. Any advice would be appreciated. Any photos would also be great! Thanks, Praveen 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a wicking garden bed?

Hello @prav21ooty,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're delighted to have you join us, and hope you'll find it a wonderful resource for useful D.I.Y. advice and handy tips. 

Thank you for your question on building a wicking garden bed. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL should be able to assist you when he's back on the site later today.

In the meantime, feel free to check out @Adam_W's step-by-step guide on How to build a wicking garden bed which contains specific details on the tools and materials used for the project. Also tagging @Maursie to see if they have any thoughts on your queries. I also recommend having a look at these 7 ways to build a raised garden bed for some inspiring ideas and examples. 

Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing updates as this project progresses. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a wicking garden bed?

Hello @prav21ooty

Thanks for sharing your question about building a wicking bed for your garden. The guide recommends using 50mm PVC fittings but the smallest agi pipe with a sock filter is 65mm. I recommend going to your nearest store and testing the fittings together to make sure that they work. There are larger 65mm fittings just in case the 50mm piece is too small.

The instructions state that you need to cut a hole in the side of the garden bed and attach the poly joiner. This is technically the overflow hole of the bed and prevents you from overfilling the wicking bed with water. The suggestion is that it sits just above the level of the scoria. The poly joiner is not connected to the agi hose.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects