Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to encourage radish roots to develop?

balaji27
Building a Reputation

How to encourage radish roots to develop?

Hello Team,

I planted Long White Icicle Radish seeds a few weeks ago and please refer to the pics. The plant has grown well, but the radish roots are not. The shoots were grown tall and it flowered as well, but when I checked the roots, not much of a growth. Please advice what could be wrong and is there a way to fix this? Thanks Balaji.

20240114_191645.jpg20240114_191630.jpg20240114_191634.jpg20240112_193629.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Radish - Root not developed

Hi @balaji27,

If the radish only makes a few leaves and then starts to bolt (those central stalks with flowers on them), the plant is likely stressed by too little water, too hot temps, insufficient sunlight, or insufficient organic matter in the soil. I'd say you've also got an issue with overcrowding there, with far too many plants in one pot. Have you been fertilising?

I'd recommend thinning out at least half of those in the pot and possibly planting elsewhere. Cut the flowering stalks off and hope for the best over the next few weeks until maturity.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
balaji27
Building a Reputation

Re: Radish - Root not developed

Thanks a lot @MitchellMc for the prompt advice.

Yes I have been watering regularly and also with fertilizers. I understood it is too crowded, will see the possibility of planting some of them in new pots/bed.

Thanks

Balaji.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects