Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a sick grape vine with red leaves?

daven25
Growing in Experience

How to fix a sick grape vine with red leaves?

Don't know the species. Its has grapes. I'm told the redness indicates some kind of disease. What to do?

VINE crop.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sick vine.

Hello @daven25 

Red leaves in vineyards can result from different stresses, whether caused by living factors like viruses and fungi or non-living factors like nutrient shortages and injuries. Any issue that disrupts the vascular system, responsible for carrying water and nutrients, can lead to red leaves.

Identifying the cause solely based on visual symptoms is challenging due to variations in timing, appearance, and spread, despite similar symptoms, especially red discoloration. Is the vine under stress or strapped on too tightly? Was part of the vine injured? How long has the red leaves been present?

Any other extra information you can share about the vine would be very much appreciated.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle, @mich1972 and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daven25
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric,

Unfortunately I cant answer any of that as we're just moving into the place. This is how we found it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daven25,

First, check to see if the vine is being strangled. Inspect any ties to the post to see if they are cutting into the plant. Next, check where it is planted into the ground and ensure paving or other items are not damaging the base. Once you've ruled out physical damage, lack of fertilisation would be the next area to address. Since you've just moved in, that would be hard to determine. You can fertilise with a small amount of chicken manure, compost or blood and bone to ensure adequate nutrients.

Here's a helpful guide: How to plant and grow a grape vine.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix a sick grape vine with red leaves?

Good morning @daven25  It is a good idea to thin out your grapevine. When it’s so thick with foliage the undergrowth will suffer. By thinning it out, you will allow light to come through and adequate airflow as well which is really important. Definitely give it a feed as well. 🌿😊

daven25
Growing in Experience

Thanks but it's not just the leaves that aren't getting sun.

daven25
Growing in Experience

Update: The vine has been watered and checked for constrictions. No fertiliser yet. Does this look like disease, fungs, lack of nutrients, light, water - or is it just autumn? It is shedding dry leaves,

1710635391685.png1710635391674 copy.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daven25,

Unfortunately, it could be any number of those issues or several combined. At this stage, as we are now in the period where leaf fall begins, it would be quite hard to diagnose any issues. I suggest waiting until next year when it warms up, and you've fertilised to see how the plant responds. If you notice the yellowing of the leaves during the growing season and the plant has adequate nutrients, it will be much easier to diagnose the issue.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects