Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix disease and discolouration of Banksia plant?

amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

How to fix disease and discolouration of Banksia plant?

Hey all

Planted these banksia sentials under 6mths ago. They have had spider webs on them recently and some discoloration? How to fix?

I've applied some eco oil for Webbs and seasol for discoloration

PXL_20230505_010431770.jpg

PXL_20230505_010351798.jpg

PXL_20230505_010330565.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix disease and discolouration of Banksia plant?

Hello @amichaelmedia 

Thanks for sharing your question about your banksia plant. In order for us to give you a better diagnosis, can you please tell us how often you've been watering the plant and has any insect or fungus been attacking it.

One of the common signs of dehydration in plants is that the tips of their leaves start to turn brown. However, you also get the same symptoms when the roots are being attacked by black root rot.

Would it be possible for you to dig near the plant to check the condition of its roots? This will tell you if the soil is waterlogged or if the plant is not getting enough water. 

Any other information you can share about what has been happening around the plant will help us identify the probable cause of its condition.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

After establishing plants ... Watering every fortnight. 

Insects found are little spiders or mites.

amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

PXL_20230513_010714192.jpg

Ive also got this bankia in a pot as a feature and it hasn't grown much over summer. It has leaves dropping and looks dry though I have been watering. It also has mites/spiders that I have used an ecooil on to deter.

Advice?

Hi @amichaelmedia,

Please check the soil on the banksia sentinel and ensure it is drying out between waterings. Perhaps it's planted on a clay base, and the water is not draining away from the roots adequately. It is more likely to be an issue with wet roots than not getting enough water.

For your other banksia, once again, you need to check that the soil it's in isn't remaining constantly damp. Once established, Australian natives can go for months without rain before needing additional water from us. However, if planted in a poor draining mix or on clay, they can start looking sickly within a few weeks if their roots are saturated with water. How often have you been watering and does the pot have good drainage?

Mitchell

Monthly and not at all since autumn

Pot drainage non existent unless it's on the very bottom. And I can't see it and it sits on a paver

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amichaelmedia 

In regards to the potted plant is it possible for you to tilt the pot at 45 degrees to check if the drain hole has been blocked? If it has, it's important to remove any blockages in order to allow the water to pass through. Trapped water in the pot will soak the roots which is not good for the plant.

Have you applied any fertilizer to either of the plants? It's possible that the soil in the area might be lacking nutrients which is affecting your plants health. I'm afraid that Seasol is not enough to support the plants needs as it is only a tonic. 

I propose adding Yates 17.5kg Dynamic Lifter Organic Plant Fertiliser and Soil Improver. It releases nutrients slowly, encourages earthworms and beneficial soil micro-organisms.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when handling garden fertilizer.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects