Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to landscape a rock filled garden base?

vineet
Getting Established

How to landscape a rock filled garden base?

Hi, I got a 'rocky' backyard. it seems that they filled large gaps by placing rocks tied by wired. There are also storm water pipes around 20cm deep. As you could see from the pics that the original landscaping isn't much left. 

My idea was to put lawn in the centre and put raised garden around the perimeter. however with the rocky base, I don't know if I could put soil in there. 

Open to all ideas what could make it a usable and beautiful backyard.

IMG_9117.jpeg

IMG_9118.jpeg

Regards

Vineet

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Landscaping in a rock filled garden base

Hi @vineet,

I'd recommend removing the top layer of gravel to investigate what's going on with these larger rocks. If only a few of these larger rocks exist, they could be removed and topsoil added to the area before turfing with new lawn. A bit of exploratory work needs to be done, so give the area a good cleanup, remove and weeds and have a look at what's going on with the pebbles and whether you can remove some to replace them with soil for the grass to grow in.

Regarding other landscaping options, you'll need to take some photos from further back so our members can better understand what you have to work with.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects