Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why do my lemons have thick skins and little juice?

AnilahZaj47
Just Starting Out

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why do my lemons have thick skins and little juice?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AnilahZaj47. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lemon trees.

It's possible that the rootstock has overgrown the grafted lemon tree, which can result in thicker-skinned lemons with low juice content. When citrus trees are propagated through grafting, a desirable lemon variety is grafted onto a rootstock that provides certain beneficial traits such as disease resistance, improved vigour, or adaptability to specific soil conditions. If the rootstock starts to dominate or overtake the grafted lemon variety, it can affect the overall health and productivity of the tree. The rootstock lemons will have different characteristics than the grafted lemon variety, including thicker skin and lower juice content. This can happen when the rootstock grows vigorously, throwing out suckers at the plant's base that outpaces the grafted portion's growth and development. 

In order for our helpful members to assist further, it would be useful to see the tree, the lemons it's producing and the branch structure, especially down close to the base. Let me know if you need any assistance uploading images.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects