Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a variety of grasses in the lawn?

Pala
Getting Established

How to remove a variety of grasses in the lawn?

Hi Experts,

Please see attached the pictures.

Recently moved into a new house and have got a patchy lawn with variety of grass types ( mostly Buffalo, followed by couch or Kikiyu) including weed.

I would like to have one type , say Buffalo.

What are my options to get this done?

Should I continue to use like a herbicide? Or

1000004171.jpg

1000004170.jpg

1000004169.jpg

  

Get a lawn expert/ contractor to remove and install the grass again? 

paulm29
Getting Established

Re: Variety of grass in the lawn

Depends on how quickly you want your lawn. 

You may have to spray or dig out the Kikiyu, though it may stop growing (as much) as Summer ends  Same with Couch.

Buffalo will take over Couch slowly, but Kikiyu will take over Buffalo with plenty of sun. 

I've gone all Buffalo and saved some money by being patient and letting it spread over Couch naturally. I planted only a few rolls in certain areas to fill gaps quicker. You can plant more rolls if you prefer to measure in months rather than years. Me, I like seeing the slow takeover 😄

I like Couch in Summer, but it looks bad in cooler months. Buffalo holds up all year round and deals with shade well. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a variety of grasses in the lawn?

Hi @Pala,

It's great to see that @paulm29 has already provided some helpful advice. Most of your lawn appears to be Buffalo, with only the circular section in your third image of another variety. The most effective remedy would be to dig out this other grass, turn over the soil in the patchy areas and then lay Buffalo turf. Your entire lawn could also benefit from an aeration, topdressing and fertilisation.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to lay turf.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects