Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove overgrown weed?

daven25
Growing in Experience

How to remove overgrown weed?

New house. Gardening noob.

What is this species and what should I do about it? It's knee-high in places and is encroaching from and completely submerging the bottom of the side fence and I've been advised it would be a great place to raise and house snakes.

This is in Northcote, Melbourne, a couple of blocks from a creek and parkland.

Open to suggestions but I think removing all of it might be best. So, pull it up if possible? Herbicide? Don't want to kill all the other plants its next to.1707371857883.jpgsnakey CU.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Unidentified overgrowth.

Hi @daven25 

Looks  like a  variety of ground cover daisy,

Just dig it out as it is shallow rooted.   It will try growing back daisies are resiliant that way and most likly have  seeded the   ground to.

Just pull a  little bit out often you will win the battle  eventually.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove overgrown weed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @daven25. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing undergrowth.

Congrats on the new house!

They appear to be Ergeron seaside daisies. I live backing directly onto the bush and have plenty around the garden. In saying that, I've never seen a snake in my garden (snakes in the area, but they are not exactly prolific as I'm in suburbia), but your experience might differ. Snakes are much more likely to take refuge under piles of fallen leaves, in and under woodpiles and within piles of rocks and stones, so make sure you clean areas like that up, too.

To remove the plant, I would cut it back to just above ground level and spritz the freshly cut ends with RoundUp. Use a piece of cardboard as a buffer to prevent overspray from drifting onto nearby plants. Remember your PPE, including safety glasses, gloves, a face mask, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers and enclosed footwear. Alternatively, @Jewelleryrescue's method will work too. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daven25
Growing in Experience

Thanks will consider both methods. If yours, what would you recommend cutting it back with? No room for a mower.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd just get in there with a pair of secateurs @daven25, or a set of hedge trimmers would do the job in a pinch.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects