Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove sick rose and replace with new rose?

MYC
Building a Reputation

How to remove sick rose and replace with new rose?

The sick old rose (photo) after 20 years just get worse each year, despite of having been feeding as scheduled with Seasol or Rose Impact,  and deep watering (only when needed).  Is it ok to dig it up now and remove old soil, then  replace with new soil and new rose in July?

20220501_165833.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove sick rose and replace with new rose?

Hello @MYC

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing your rose.

I recommend giving the rose plant another chance. Because we are heading towards the colder months your rose plant will probably go into dormancy. I suggest a last-ditch effort to rejuvenate the rose plant in spring. This involves cutting down the main branch to half its length and removing any dead stumps that are close to it on the ground. Increase the number of times you water it and add fertilizer. If you don't get the expected results in a few months then perhaps it's time to retire the old rose plant.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Here is a link to a handy guide:  How to grow and care for roses

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @MYC 
Yes, winter is the ideal time to be replacing your roses with a new bare-rooted plant.
As you've had a poorly rose planted there I would however be taking some precautions to make sure there aren't soil related problems.
- Replace soil in the immediate area and improve to suit the new plant.
- Drench soil and surrounding area with at least two applications of Anti-Rot a week or so apart to hopefully get rid of any soil fungal problems.

MYC
Building a Reputation

Thanks for your advice.  Will wait for after rain here and soil is easy to dig up.  I might put the remaining living part into pot, to see if can be saved.  Yes, then will clear out old soil and follow your steps before putting in new rose in Spring. Hope will work.

MYC
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric.  Will watch till end of May, remove dead branches and might move the whole remaining shrub to a pot to see if any chance to revive it. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @MYC, and please reach out if you need further assistance. We look forward to seeing your new rose planted.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects