Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a garden tap?

Nabil
Just Starting Out

How to replace a garden tap?

AE8A25C7-B118-4B20-97BF-B0A894BE1207.jpeg

942392A2-CEAB-4B86-AB82-70521906007C.jpeg

3EBD49C9-4C00-4FB6-A0BB-756BAB3E0DD3.jpeg

Hi,

II want to remove my garden tap from the copper pipe and replace it with a new one. Can I use a torch and wiggle it to remove and replace a new one using a compression fitting without soldering as I can’t really tell if it is been soldered together before.

Cheers.

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: Replace a garden tap

Hello @Nabil welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community, I must say I've never seen a tap like that before only compression type fittings, that said you already sound like you have a plan moving forward, you will need to apply 400 Celsius of heat to melt the solder but copper piping is safe well up to just over a 1000 Celsius, so quite a large margin, standard PPE applies (which I imagine you will already have if you own a butane torch), oh and don't forget to isolate the mains water supply... or fun times will ensue 😉 

Good luck and keep us posted.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a garden tap?

Hello @Nabil 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about replacing your garden tap. 

It's great that you've received detailed advice from @DIYGnome. If you are removing your garden tap from the copper pipe it will be an involved procedure. You'll need a blow torch to melt the solder which will then allow you to remove the old garden tap. The copper pipe will then need to be bent so that you can install a Brasshards 15C x 15MI x 70mm Brass Male Lugged Compression Elbow. This will then allow you to install a Kinetic 15mm Brass Female Garden Tap.

Please note that it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this type of work. If in doubt consult your local building authority before you begin.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your repair project. Please take all necessary safety precautions when working with an open flame and handling heated copper.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects