Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace battery in Verve Design Solar light?

keninnsw
Just Starting Out

How to replace battery in Verve Design Solar light?

I have 2 Verve design sensor solar lights

It says it has a 3.7v battery but the unit sems to be made of one casting

How do I get at the battery to renew it

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace battery in Verve Design Solar light?

Hello @keninnsw,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Verve Solar light.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo or the item number of your solar light? This is just to make sure that we recommend the correct replacement battery for your unit. Some batteries have to be specially ordered from our providers and are not stocked at store level. Once we see your photo, we'll be able to track down the battery for it.

We look forward to seeing the photos of your solar light.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Margo
Finding My Feet

Hi EricL and keninnsw: Verve-topVerve-topVerve-bottomVerve-bottom I have the same issue. The light worked fine for a while and then stopped working. Here's two photos. I can't see any screws to get into the unit to replace the battery.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Margo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Verve solar light.

If you look carefully at the bottom picture where the LED lights are. You'll notice a very fine gap between the glossy LED plastic cover and the plastic housing. There are two possible scenarios on how this cover was attached. A clear glossy cover was glued over the cover cap of the housing hiding the screws from sight. I suggest trying to pick up the edge of the plastic cover with a Stanley Knife.

The other possibility is that it is a clip-on cover. I suggest using a Stanley 4 x 75mm Standard Screwdriver and wedge it between the gap to lift the cover off. Please note excessive force may damage the unit, so please explore carefully. 

Unfortunately, they've designed the unit to be totally seamless. I suggest proceeding slowly when trying to remove any part of the assembly to avoid damaging it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Margo
Finding My Feet

504EA4C5-B92C-473B-B477-729812B59E63.jpegHi Eric: thanks for your reply. We did as you suggested, but unfortunately the glass cover seems to be firmly siliconed into the housing. We tried to dig out some of the silicone (see black stuff in the foreground) but any attempt to gently lever up the glass resulted in it cracking at the edges. Not a user-friendly design and at $39 surely not intended as a throw-away item after just a few months use?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Margo,

I've confirmed that this Verve solar light has a non-replaceable battery cell in it. If it fails, it's not as simple as opening and replacing the battery. The unit is designed to last for several years, but in this particular case, it has not. There is a 12-month warranty on the product, and I would advise you to return it to a store with your proof of purchase for an exchange. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance in returning your product.

Mitchell

Thanks for your reply. MitchellMc.   Unfortunately I did not immediately become aware of the fact that the light was no longer working (we initially thought we might have the switch set wrong). Then it took quite a while to get it off the wall and try to figure out what the problem was, so too much time has lapsed since I bought the light and the 12 month warranty period has expired.

At the same time I bought another solar sensor light for about $70 (not from Bunnings). This light is still going well and has a 36 month warranty.

Based on this experience I would not recommend the Verve light or any design which does not have clear and easy access to replace the rechargeable battery and I'd also be looking for a light which has a longer warranty period than 12 months.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Margo,

That's totally understandable, and I apologise for the inconvenience. I'll be passing your feedback on to the relevant buyer. However, I'd still like to assist with you returning the unit. Regardless of the warranty, it doesn't sound like you got a fair use out of it.

I'll reach out via PM for some additional details.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects