Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive Agapanthus (african lilly) post spraying bin-die herbicide?

vg_39
Cultivating a Following

How to revive Agapanthus (african lilly) post spraying bin-die herbicide?

Hi guys

need help!

I had sprayed selective herbicide, bin-die, 6 weeks ago to get rid of clover in my front yard. While it has success in dealing with clover, agapanthus has taken a hit too and the small one are now disappearing fast ( see photos attached) and some impact can be seen on the medium sized ones while the large ones have very small impact. 

As per the label of bin die, The chemical in Bin-Die breaks down the sugars that the weeds produce thus disrupting the photosynthesis production in the plant (the way the plant produces food and energy to live).

Can you please suggest if there is any way I can revive my yard. I am thinking to put blood and bone around the plants and see how I go? Any ideas on using anything else especially something which can improve photosynthesis production ?

appreciate your help in advance

IMG_1445.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

IMG_1447.jpeg

   

IMG_1449.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revive Agapanthus (african lilly) post spraying bin-die herbicide

Hi @vg_39,

So sorry to hear you've experienced some issues in the garden.

Unfortunately, Bin-die is designed to be used on lawns and it appears that the Agapanthus could have been affected by spray drift. Six weeks on, the damage has been done. At this stage, you could look at applying Seasol which is a health tonic and will help the remaining plants recover. It's good that there are still signs of life, even on the smaller plants and hopefully many will survive.

You could try adding fertiliser to the plants to encourage growth, but given the sparseness of the plants, you might like to look at adding some more Agapanthus to the area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vg_39
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to revive Agapanthus (african lilly) post spraying bin-die herbicide

Thanks Mitchell

i had applied season a few days ago. Today, I have topped up the soil with potting mix and will see in a couple of weeks how it goes. 

eventually, I might have to add a few more if agapanthus in the garden

thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects