Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat black spots on birds of paradise flowers?

Elle2
Getting Established

How to treat black spots on birds of paradise flowers?

Hi guys, the flowers of my two plants in separate spots are black spotted, I thought maybe with so much rain in Perth it could be fungus. I bought this product, haven't used yet, do you know if this spray will help my beautiful flowers? It's not powdery, it's just the spots. If not this product , what can I do to help it recover?

Thanks 👍

IMG20230615172741.jpg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-200ml-rose-shield-black-spot-and-insect-pest-killer-concentrate_p2...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat black spots on birds of paradise flowers?

Hi @Elle2,

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is with your plant, as there isn't a whole heap of information out there surrounding spotting to flowers of a bird of paradise. It could potentially be Botrytis Blight as one of the symptoms is oddly shaped blotches and flecks to the flowers. A copper-based fungicide is typically used to treat this problem alongside cleaning up dead material around the plant and removing affected growth. Do not put this material in your compost pile. 

I notice your leaves are also browning at the edges, which actually points towards underwatering rather than overwatering. Interesting, given the wet weather you've been having.

Let me mention one of our gardening experts @Noelle to see if she has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Elle2 

Have to agree with Mitchell re the appearance of the leaves.  As to the markings on the flowers, it looks like they are past their best in terms of freshness, with the centre of the flowers and the petals pointing to the right side of the image looking like they are withering due to age. The markings may be fungal but I would suspect they are just spots indicating the flowers are really on their way out.

You could try a fungal spray such as https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-200ml-liquid-copper-fungicide_p3010236 - it certainly won't do any harm but may not improve the appearance of the flowers either.

Elle2
Getting Established

@MitchellMc @Noelle  thank you both! Maybe you're right, it could be that they are on their way out... I never noticed them going black spotted before, they just wilt and dry out normally. I will check out that copper fungicide, if cutting them out and the new flowers have black spots also! The plant is filled with flowers, odd given that Perth is very cold and wet at the moment! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects