Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat my new Mulberry that has leaf rust?

acb
Cultivating a Following

How to treat my new Mulberry that has leaf rust?

I noticed on my new Mulberry plant there were 2 leaves with rust patches and that is 10% of the total foliage.  If it is caused by some form of disease, i hope to find a cure before it infests the plant and the rest of my garden. 

Thank you.

AnChi

IMG_3407.jpg 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to treat my new plant that has leaf rust

Hi again @acb,

Just to add to the advice shared so far, you should find this guide by @Noelle really helpful: How to pot a plant.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
acb
Cultivating a Following

I thank you for your warm and prompt support.  It seems so far the size of the pot is the immediate concern of everyone and I have planned to do so.  Do you think i can wait till the fruiting season is finished?

Growing it in pot in my paved backyard is my only option.  I understand Bunnings’ largest plastic growing pot is 65cm in diameter.

Thank you.

AnChi

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

REKO 110L Black Plastic Growers Pot 

I personally would transplant it into a larger container like this. Sitting in it on pot feet or bricks so it is not touching the ground. 
Using a premium potting mix. 
Liquid feeding with Charlie Carp for nutrients and transplanting shock ( I use it all the time ) 

Yes , I would wait until it finishes fruiting and then transplant. 
Good luck, it’s a beautiful tree and you will enjoy it for many more years to come @acb 🌿🪴🙂

acb
Cultivating a Following

G’morning.

I think my potted mulberry has finished her fruiting this year as I picked the last fruit yesterday.

In terms of transplanting, please advise if it is time now or should I wait a bit?  The non-stop yellowing leaves is concerning.

Thank you.

Regards

Acb 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @acb,

Yellowing mulberry leaves can be caused by over-watering, over or under-fertilisation, a lack of sunlight, or disease. If you can post some images of the leaves and plant, we could help identify the issue.

It's getting a bit late to transplant, as it's best done in late autumn or early spring. You could transplant now if you paid careful attention to the soil not drying out completely or being burnt by the hot midday sun. I recommend keeping it in a somewhat sheltered position out of the midday and afternoon sun until it recovers from the transplant. I also recommend you slip pot it and only tease out the roots slightly instead of disturbing all of them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects