Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive my lawn?

MikaRJ
Getting Established

How to revive my lawn?

We've just moved into this property and the lawn situation was worse than what it is now. Not sure what turf it is, I'm guessing buffalo. Grass has started to sprout within the dry patchy areas but what can I do to speed up the process of making it lush green?

IMG-20231112-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20231112-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20231112-WA0002.jpg

 I've made a list of products that members here have suggested to fix a lawn. aerator sandals, seasol spray, lawed, fertilizer, scarifier,etc. But do I need all of this? Not the entire lawn is dry, many areas are lush green so I'm hoping to just fix the patches. Have been hand watering on the days retic doesn't go on. I also read that testing pH level of the soil could be beneficial.

May I please know what's the best practice for fixing this lawn and taking care of lawn in summer?

Many thanks

Mika

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lawn needs reviving

HI @MikaRJ,

To address those patchy areas, identify the root causes, whether compacted soil, pests, or other factors. It could just be that the lawn hasn't been watered sufficiently. Aeration can do wonders with spiked sandals or a machine by improving water and nutrient absorption.

When watering, focus on deep, infrequent sessions, especially during dry spells. Give the lawn a long water three times a week instead of daily short waterings. 

Fertilisers provide essential nutrients, but be cautious not to overdo it. At this time, I'd suggest Seasol or seaweed-based sprays which will contribute to overall plant health, offering nutrients and trace elements.

For those troublesome patches, opt for spot treatments like reseeding or overseeding. The new seed won't match you're Buffalo, but it will infill quickly. If the Buffalo is still alive in those areas, it will return with suitable care. Alternatively, you can relay turf.  

Here are some helpful guides: How to detect lawn problems, How to repair a lawn and How to take care of your lawn.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikaRJ
Getting Established

Re: Lawn needs reviving

Thanks for the suggestions Mitchell! Going to give this a try, fingers crossed. Pray for my lawn 😆

Mika

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects