Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat white scale on large established Gum tree?

Kate_Ed
Getting Established

How to treat white scale on large established Gum tree?

Hello!

We have a very large established gumtree that is infested with white scale. It is starting to transfer onto our Lilly Pilly hedge. I can treat the hedge however reaching the gum is impossible! 

Is there anyway I can treat our gum? My only thought was buying some ladybirds?

Thanks so much!

Kate

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: White scale on large established gumtree

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kate_Ed. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about treating scale on a Gumtree.

How tall is the gum? A garden sprayer in stream mode will shoot several metres into the air. However, if this is still not enough to reach the foliage on the gum, then you might like to enlist the services of a certified arborist to assist with the best course of action. 

Although ladybirds sounds like a good idea, in practice, it's likely not going to be a viable solution. Although some might stick around, the vast majority will leave your property over the next 24 hours after release.

Let me mention a couple of our knowledgeable garden experts, @Noelle and @mich1972, to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Kate_Ed 

I wouldn't even try to spray the gum tree as its size will preclude accurate application of any insecticide or oil to the pests themselves.

Confine your control measures to the lillypilly hedge itself.

A large gum should be able to withstand the odd incursion of scale or other pests without sustaining damage.

Thank you @MitchellMc ! Here’s some photos for context:

IMG_1836.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1831.jpeg

Kate_Ed
Getting Established

Thank you so much @Noelle !

Do you know if the scale will eventually leave the gum or is it likely to stay for life? I’ve posted some photos above in case that helps. If so do you think I will just need to keep treating the Lilly Polly’s every so often to maintain their health? 

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer! 😊 thank you!

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @Kate_Ed 

The photos look much more like lerps which are the outer casings of juvenile psyllids. There's a great article about lerps at:  https://www.lfwseq.org.au/lerps-one-of-natures-sweet-offerings/

Unlikely to be detrimental to the gum tree in the long term, psyllids can be a major problem on the lillypillys, so I'd recommend you concentrate on them and try to keep them as healthy as possible by treating regularly. Make sure to spray the undersides of the lillypilly leaves as well as the top sides.

Any non-residual contact insecticide will do the trick, as will eco oil. Apply as often as necessary.

Kate_Ed
Getting Established

Thank you so much @Noelle such great information! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects