Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lots of tomatoes coming soon

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lots of tomatoes coming soon

Here's what our tomato plants currently look like. We grew from seed this season and are expecting a big crop very soon.

tomatoes.jpg

How are your tomato plants doing? I'd love to see your photos.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bergs
Making a Splash

Re: Lots of tomatoes coming soon

Hello all,

My older variety of tomatoes are still mostly green which I tend to blame on the up and down weather. I have only had two ripe ones off my bushes that I planted from seed but, on the other hand the little cherry tomatoes which self seeded have been yielding a good handful each day. 

The large tomatoes are from seeds that came from an old Italian gardener some years ago and they grow to over six foot tall. I have trimmed the lower leaves back to give them more light and air and with the weather going to be warm this week I hope to get a few more to ripen if not it looks like green tomato pickles.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Some of the bigger tomatoes are as big as my hand. 

I still have some seeds left from last year but I would like to get some fresh seeds for the next harvest. 

Can anyone tell me if the saved seed from an unripened tomato will germinate or does it have to be ripe. I haven't tried seeds from unripened tomatoes before.

Cheers🍻

Be happy and care for your tools
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Google says ripe.
Who am I to disagree...
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good work @bergs. We are now picking every day at our place. We've already harvested about 4-5kg. 

Jason

Anyone got any tips for ensuring the fruit keeps on coming well into autumn?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kellie,

We're still harvesting dozens of tomatoes every day. But I see Yates suggest to help prolong the harvest well into autumn continue feeding tomatoes each week with a liquid plant food. In the Yates Thrive product, the additional potassium encourages flowers and fruit.

Jason

RosieW
Having an Impact

IMG_7521.jpg

Hi Jason, our best tomatoes have self seeded. They're growing everywhere throughout the raised beds. It's our best year ever.

Hi All, plenty of harvesting lately, large tomatoes go about 4 to the kilo and there is a couple that are twice the size of the ones in the photo still on the bush. The little Sweetbites are self sown and we're getting a bowl full every day. Lebanese Cucumbers have been plentiful and have pickled quite a few, they are good value and grow very quickly as do the Apple cucumbers. IMG_20170324_111627.jpg

Climbing beans are plentiful and have had to blanch a few kilos and freeze them so we'e got them during the year.

Cheers bergs

Be happy and care for your tools

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects