Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Needing inspiration for back yard

suz2704
Getting Established

Needing inspiration for back yard

Hi Everyone, 

Im new here. Ive been wanting to do something with our backyard for a while now, but dont know what to do. Its very plain and boring at the moment and needs something to bring some life into the area. 

Its a large L shape yard, but we are restricted with a 4m underground water retention tank along one fence, then have council storm water running alot the other fence with 3 storm water vents / pits. 

We have 2 kids, with another on the way, spend most of our time in the yard in summer. We do have a bit of a dip in the yard (where the swing set is). We've thought about leveling it, but the prices we have been quoted range from $6K-$12K and I find that too excessive just for leveling.

The area where the clothes line is, is just a waisted space and dont use it at all apart from washing. We will be removing 2 of the gums shortly.

Hubby is not a very handyman at all & we would need something low maintenance. Some photos attahced. 

Appreciate your help and ideas. Thanks. yard1.JPGyard2.JPGyard3.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Needing inspiration for back yard

Hi @suz2704,

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. It's great to have you as part of the community. I'm sure you will get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for this project and many others to come from our ever-helpful and creative members. 

Can you tell us whereabouts you are based? It might help community members suggest plants and lawn care. I take it your two kids are currently very young and it's a priority to have lots of space for play? Do you have anything else on your wish list for the area? Options might include an outdoor entertaining zone, vegetable garden, or a fire pit...

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
suz2704
Getting Established

Hi @Jason 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Im in Sydney, most of the area gets full sun (please excuse my unloved winter grass)!! 

Kids are currently 8 & 3. 

We do have a outdoor patio - pic also attached. 

I have nothing on my wishlist, i dont know where to start, so hoping to get some ideas here. 

Thanks. patio.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the extra detail @suz2704. I'm sure that will help members provide more useful suggestions.

I would encourage you to check out our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers as you might see something that inspires you. The Top 10 kids projects might also provide a spark for something creative for the kids. And what about a planter box? They can be a real feature and I reckon your kids would love growing their own vegies to eat. @Adam_W recently shared how to build a raised garden bed.   

Jason

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

A little more direction would be helpful @suz2704. Do you want a mainly decorative garden? Mainly for the kids play? Any plans for a pool or spa? Do you want to keep the lawn? You really have a wonderful blank canvas so the options are endless. 

This morning I've been reminded of @LePallet's wonderful backyard transformation here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Backyard-transformation-before-and-after/m-p/30323

I'm sure it will prove inspiring to you @suz2704. Let us know if you have any questions.

Jason

suz2704
Getting Established

Thanks @Jason 

Thats a really cool makeover! Some good ideas there, thanks

I really dont know what I want!

Definately want to keep the lawn. Cant have a pool, spa or realy anything too heavy due to underground easements 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects