Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Oceaniopteris gibba died

topdesk
Finding My Feet

Oceaniopteris gibba died

I purchased 2 Silver Lady Ferns (Oceaniopteris gibba). One looks beautiful the other is dead. Can anyone advise what’s happened 

7B3F585C-91E2-4636-BC45-D374FD70C09E.jpeg

ED4575B6-7A90-4ED3-8EDB-A0B02BEF6BB9.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Oceaniopteris gibba died

Hello @topdesk

Perhaps it was something in the soil? Clearly, when you purchased the plants they were identical in nature. Both were watered at the same time, exposed to the same sunlight. Yet one of them failed and the other one kept on thriving. From my recollection, the ferns love a good watering but must not be drowned. They prefer morning sunshine, but not too much sun as it can be detrimental. They require minimal fertilizer to survive. Your pot sizes seem adequate so that could not have been a factor. 

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their thoughts on the matter.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou. Been very hot in perth so may have overwatered! 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

If everything else is equal then that would be the most likely explanation.  Do these pots have drainage holes in the base?  They're essential for ferns so excess moisture can escape and the roots won't remain wet for long periods. If they do have holes, then raising the pots up on 'pot feet' would help with drainage. Standing flat on a paved surface may be retaining too much moisture in the base of the pot if you're being generous with watering.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @topdesk,

It's great to see our expert horticulturists @Noelle has provided advice. That would be my question too, are there drainage holes?

I thought I'd mention that we have a perfect plant promise. All our plants are guaranteed for 12 months, so if you're not 100% happy, return your plant (with receipt), and we'll refund it. This excludes potted colour and seedlings. In a case like this, where one of the two plants has seemingly spontaneously died, I'd be taking advantage of the return policy. We understand that sometimes a plant will die no matter what you do and our policy is there to encourage you to give it another go.

If there are no drainage holes in the pot, then you'll need to add them. Alternatively, remove the soil and place 100mm of pebbles/gravel in the bottom of the pot. This will create a well where excess water can drain instead of constantly saturating the soil. It will provide a limited buffer zone, but you still need to be careful not to over-water.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou. The pots have large pebbles at the bottom of the soil for drainage. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects