Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Project Staghorn on old fence pailing

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Project Staghorn on old fence pailing

Hi I dont know why i like my staghorn ferns and I grow them big so I like to make a   really big  base board for them so they dont need  re boarding every few years. 

This  Idea works for renters too as you can grow the elks and take them with you as you move.

This  elk all ready growing off its own base board with in 2 months on the south side of house no direct sun light. Filtered light. This  stag cost us $80 at Bunnings how  much are the whoopas  worth?

IMG_4222[1].JPG

I use recycled fence timber ring a local fence installer they will be glad to unload some at your place be clear  as to how much  you need mabye two panels worth.

The idea is two use old fence rail and screw it with lots of support too the wall as a stand alone and them make your elk board (two rails and pailings)  1mx 1m  they get big and need the grow space.

Now screw the nursery base board to new elk board.  Now drill lower holes beside  elk horn and lightly wrap fencing wire  x2  around  elk horn and through holes and secure wire at rear this will support your elk when it is massive.

Stag on easy service wall railStag on easy service wall rail

Put some moss for water retention at the middle lower of you baby  stag as well as a banana skin for nutrients. water 3 times a week for summer place in filtered light. hot sun quickly browns  leaves.

The rail on the elk board simply sits on the wall rail making lifting a  heavy elk easy and positioning a breeze so servicing  your elk or relocating is easy just put a new rail on a wall some where.  Dont use your fence as a rule.  Screw  two screws through elk board into wall rail and it is secure  but easy to undo.

Well have  fun this rail method works well for pots and other wall hangings to as the rail is added first and the heavy items simple  sits on the rail fully supported dont forget a  saftey screw.

Side view showing support rail Middle and stag board rails.

IMG_4221[1].JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Project Staghorn on old fence pailing

Staghorns are a great way to enliven a wall. Many thanks for sharing @Jewelleryrescue. I'm sure this will help and inspire others.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Project Staghorn on old fence pailing

Hi @Jason 

Thanks  for your  consideration of taking the time and saying so  its hard to imagine them growing that big but they do try and I should do a before and after  10 year photos.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects