Ask a question

How to put nets on fruit trees?

andajori
Getting Established

How to put nets on fruit trees?

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_8628.jpeg

We have a lemon and mandarin tree that have started to fruit and we keep finding half eaten fruit on our lawn. 
We have an array of native wildlife (magpies, cockatoos, possums and I think fruit bats) that hang around our garden and are not sure which is the culprit/s. We decided to buy some netting to put over the trees which my husband put over them last weekend. 
My question is, is it okay to just put them over the trees without some type of structure to hold them off the branches? To me they looked too weighed down. 
If we need some type of structure, what is a simple, inexpensive way to do this?

Thanks for your help. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Proper way to put nets on fruit trees

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @andajori. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adding netting over fruit trees.

I can see the weight of the net has flipped several branches and leaves over so they are no longer facing upright. This will cause them not to receive as much sunlight, which is not optimal for plant growth. Also, the weighted branches will set in that shape, which isn't great either.

The most economical way to hold the netting of the plant would be to install three or four garden stakes around the plant set back from the canopy. Make sure you grab some stakes that are taller than your plant. Once the stakes are installed, you can drape the netting over them, holding it off the plants.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your prompt reply @MitchellMc. We will head to Bunnings this weekend. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @andajori 

I have the same issue, birds just love my veggie garden and fig tree. I have used electrical conduit and tied it to starposts that I have put it into the ground. The conduit is like a big arc and then throw the netting over it. Stake swill work as well with the conduit as @MitchellMc  suggested. Netting is a pain but after I lost all my figs to magpies this year (yeah they sat there watching me walk out the door) next years will be netted :smile:

Dave

andajori
Getting Established

Thanks @Dave-1.  Do you have any pictures you can post?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @andajori 

Mmmmm not at the moment, I do have starposts in the ground next to my fig tho more to help train the branches. I will see tomorrow if I can tie some conduit to them (I have the conduit from when I covered my veggie garden) I will take a photo or two if I am succesful :smile:

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Sorry @andajori 

I didnt get a chance to put the conduit up and take a pic this long weekend, will try and do it over the next few days if its not raining.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects