Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Puppy Friendly Gardens

Juanita613
Finding My Feet

Puppy Friendly Gardens

Me and my mate Maurice share an equal love for cala lillies. Unfortunelty he perfers them in his paws and not in my garden. Note the large patch of baron dirt and guilty pup.

IMG_5390.JPG

While I've had a little luck with some ginger & herbs like basil and parsley (and of course the weeds), every other thing I plant seems to be dragged out from the back yard and into my living room. 

Does anybody have any advice as to how to keep dogs away from the garden bed, or better yet, flowers and foliage that they dont feel a need to rip out?

Thanks!!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Puppy Friendly Gardens

I have tried -

Dog Bane

Plectranthus ornatus a perennial in the Lamiaceae family, said to repel dogs from gardens. Grows to a height of about 24-36 in. The plant prefers full sun exposure and not to be over watered. P. ornatus has a bloom time of late summer, early fall to mid-fall and a bloom color of light blue, violet, or lavender. Doesn't keep them away but they don't destroy it either.

Yellow Thai Chilli and Jalapenos - fair game.

Habanero - beat the old dog, not had any around the puppy.

Long Red Hot Dragon Chilli - China variety not the milder Thai, I don't think the puppy will climb up there again and it almost beats me too.

Rosemary - left in peace.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

@Emily has shared a great suggestion for creating a "dog digging patch". See this post - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gardening/Dog-Digging-Patch/m-p/9444

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason, thanks for digging his thread up, I hadn't seen it.

Tania, my gorgeous wife of nearly 43 years, discvovered a remedy, where you put a doggy poop where they've dug. It's worked amazingly well, but I can't walk anywhere outside without a dig deterrant lodging on my sole.

I mentioned that our yard is now full of sh*t, to which she replied, "that's true, but after all, it is your signature garden". :puzzled:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects