Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommendations for evergreen, non-invasive tall trees

Wy
Growing in Experience

Recommendations for evergreen, non-invasive tall trees

Looking for an evergreen, non-invasive tree for the W/N area. Suitable for sandy soils, acid.

GreenShoots
Having an Impact

Re: Recommendations for evergreen, non-invasive tall trees

Hi @Wy . Whereabouts do you live? You can often get some great ideas by looking at what is thriving in your neighbours' gardens and the local parks and public landscaping. 

If you see something you like you can take some photos and upload them here so members can try to identify them for you. It helps if you have some nice, clear shots of the leaves and flowers (if any). 

Do you want the tree to be a standalone feature tree in your yard, or are you looking to make a screen?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Varieties of Tall Trees

Hi @Wy

Thank you for sharing your question about evergreen non-invasive trees. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @GreenShoots. Observing the trees around your neighbourhood will give you an idea of which species are thriving well in the current soil condition of the area. I suggest looking at the Callistemon Kings Park Special, Native Frangipani, and WA Red Flowering Gum. I recommend testing the pH level of the soil before you purchase these trees for transplanting.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Wy 

It's hard to make recommendations, apart from generalised ones like Eric has which are suitable for a wide range of conditions, without knowing where you live.  What suits Melbourne, for example, may not suit Perth or Brisbane.

Happy to add to the list when we know your location.

Wy
Growing in Experience

@GreenShoots and @Noelle

I live in South-East Melbourne, sandy soil, Ph 5 - 6.

Looking for a medium to large dark green leaf tree as a feature. In the West so needs to stand up to winds and heat. Non-invasive and evergreen. All the trees around here are light green and deciduous. Have been search for years, so perhaps it does not exist other than in the tropics?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What about a flowering gum or Magnolia Alta - Magnolia grandiflora@Wy? They require protection from frosts until they are established but are frost tolerant. They are also suited to Melbourne's temperate climate, have green/dark green leaves and make lovely feature trees. The flowers are just amazing too!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects