Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I remove this tree?

charlotte1
Getting Established

Should I remove this tree?

 i was advised by a gardener to remove this tree from my backyard. Is this tree not good for garden?

9254D983-A9DE-4E84-8273-8F4216BC3FDE.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Should I remove this tree?

Hi @charlotte1,

What was the reason you were given that the tree should be removed? Is it perhaps considered a weed in your area? Or does it have invasive roots? Is there anything near the tree that makes it problematic?

You might also need to consult with your local council whether you are able to legally remove the tree. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @charlotte1

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jason. The questions he's posted are all important. Does the tree pose such a threat to the well-being of your house and garden? Will it be a hazard in the future? If you do plan on removing the tree, it is always prudent to consult your local council before doing so. Perhaps your gardener was worried that it might grow into your fence?

If the tree poses no threat, I vote to keep the tree as the benefits you get will outweigh whatever negative effects it might have on the landscape. Please keep us updated, we look forward to knowing what you've decided.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

If its creating alot of shade over a area you want to plant with sun loving plants it might be a issue from the gardeners point of view I guess  (I do property maintanance - Come across issues alot where trees block the sun from plants - and the plants grow sideways reaching for sunlight we end up having to thin the tree out and attempt to redirect the plants growth sometimes means replanting the plants or severe cutbacks)

If this is the case - you could just check on the shade situation throughout the day, and only plant things which like the shade in affected areas? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects