Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should water drain out when I water this potted palm?

vr00mm
Growing in Experience

Should water drain out when I water this potted palm?

Hi

I repotted this palm plant onto this beautiful terracotta pot plant. The pot has one hole in the bottom to drain the water. However, everytime I water the plant, there is no water drained out of the pot. I am a little concern about it as I don't want the root become drench and rot as it ia not drained properly.

Is it normal that the water doesn't drain at all?

Thank you.

16671700023507745642244478724631.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should water drain out when I water this potted palm?

Hello @vr00mm

Thank you for sharing your question about your re-potted plant. Can you please tell us what kind of soil was put into the pot before you transferred the plant? Were there any paper stickers attached to the drain hole of the pot? One possible reason for the water not coming through is that the soil at the bottom was too compressed and is preventing the water from flowing through.

I suggest lifting the plant out and checking the soil compression around the root area of the plant. I recommend tilling the soil near the bottom of the pot before you place the plant back into the pot. Please make sure not to press the plant structure down to prevent soil compression.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects