Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sick Choisya ternata plants

Madcat
Growing in Experience

Sick Choisya ternata plants

Hi community, I have a row of choisya ternata plants against my front fence that were planted by a landscaper. Unfortunately 3 went yellow and died, so I bought new ones and replaced them. Now 2 of the 3 replacements are going yellow too, but the neighbouring plants are growing well. Not sure what is causing this, so hoping some experienced gardeners out there could help ?

PXL_20220222_224736511.jpgPXL_20220222_224746042.jpgPXL_20220222_224804824.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sick Choisya ternata plants

Westringia is very well suited to most soil types including sandy and heavy clay soils @Madcat. It can also be trained into a low hedge. Nandina domestica is another great option as it tolerates heavy clay soils.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Madcat
Growing in Experience

Fantastic, thank you @MitchellMc 

I'll pop into my local Bunnings and check these out

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Madcat 

That's so sad your plants are going the way of many of mine (but im my case it's probably under-attention!).

But an old friend lived in Canberra and had alot of clay soil.  She was  advised to use gypsum, as it actually breaks up the clay molecule ... neither of us live in the ACT anymore so can't provide a plant condition update.  However, as we know, Bunnings are a gardener's best friend, and in this case too:  https://www.bunnings.com.au/richgro-15kg-natural-gypsum-clay-breaker_p3010181

I do hope that helps!

Good luck 🤗

P.S  Is that a Malamut or Husky pup in your profile image ... it's very cute! 

Madcat
Growing in Experience

Hi Tyro, thanks for the info ! Unfortunately, all but 3 have died. I even replaced some but they eventually died too. I have however replaced them with Nandinas for a different splash of red color. So far they seem to be doing better than the Chisoya's

And yes a husky pup, but not mine (maybe one day I'll have one), just a picture I found on the internet 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Oh no!  Poor plants.  

I wonder if climbers in large pots might be another option if the Nandinas struggle with the soil too?  I've done quite a bit of research on potted climbers and finally settled on natives.  The added bonus of them is they do seem more hardy when soil quality is 'challenging'!

Good luck with the Nandinas - they look like they will make a really attractive hedge!

Cheers 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects